Autism spectrum

Hello beautiful people.I have a son age 6 almost and we speak 2 languages at the same time .His is a very beautiful and confident child but the school Senco thinks he has autism spectrum.I feel like they want to put that tag on my child .I have a friend with a child with autism and I know how autism is but I do not see anything into my child .He has friends he is playing but he talks but not a lot becasue I feel is speech delay and need support but not autism .I am lost becasue the school send my child for autism assessment but I will get help from my GP

• Speaking as someone whose parents would've said similar stuff, it would've 100% been better for me if my autism had been picked up on at that kinda age instead of not being noticed for another nearly 30 years.

Not knowing someone's autistic doesn't mean that side of them doesn't exist; it just prevents you from helping them deal with the kinds of stresses that an autistic person may face in our world. And those stresses can build up silently for a long time.

• I actually think that the school must be doing something right if they pointed this out about your child. It means someone there cares. If he's actually on the spectrum then the earlier he gets the support the best for him

• Try not to see autism as an externally imposed tag. If your child is autistic, having him diagnosed will help you to understand him better. It will also entitle him to practical help, which will allow him to function more effectively in the rather autism-hostile world.

• I mean there’s nothing about being autistic  that will  stop your child being intelligent or beautiful, or confident for that matter provided he’s raised to be so. Some autistic children have really good coping strategies so they appear to be getting on alright socially but it’s often very superficial, this is particularly true of autistic children who are very intelligent.

there is a saying in the autistic community that if you have met one autistic person you have met one autistic person. The way autism present varies massively from person to person based on the differences in their intelligence and indeed the differences in their personality. autism can look very different from person to person. So I wouldn’t put much stock in the fact that another autistic child seems different from your own.

The best thing to do is probably just to wait for the assessment and see what happens.