How do I support my child?

Please help. After years of speculation and some gentle suggestions, my 16-yr-old son has just received a diagnosis of autism. And he is angry at being given a label

He is a bright young man who has a job, plays sport, is focused on study and keeps himself fit and healthy. But his need for routine and advanced notice, his inability to forward plan, as well as introspection and black and white views, have started to become significantly more noticeable and problematic. And could hinder interviews and such as he progress through his chosen education and career route.

From my perspective I wanted a diagnosis so he could access support whenever he encounters a challenge because of the way he thinks and views the world. And I have told him repeatedly not to think of it as a label, but as a key. 

It is his diagnosis and his choice to share the diagnosis; but how do I support him without making him feel I am overbearing or suffocating him. 

I too have had speculation about being autistic, from friends, my daughter and cousellors; and I was advised to seek further support if my son's diagnosis was positive. 

I just want to help him; to me he is my vulnerable little boy, but he would hate to know I see him that way.

Are there any books I can get him to help him come to terms with the diagnosis. Any suggestions will be so gratefully received.    

Parents Reply Children
No Data