Hello - Looking For Help Please

Diagnosed ASD in 2019.

Had zero help or support.

No local support groups available.

Struggling desperately with outside/external noise.

Stuck in house.

Having to use earplugs + noise-cancelling headphones at same time, pretty much all the time.

Does anyone else have any advice, please?

Thanks.

• Hi Mark. Sorry to hear that you ended up feeling this way. When we're feeling very distressed, 40 minutes might as well be 40 days. But nobody here will ever ignore you, you might just need to give the community a few hours or a day or so when the forum's in a quieter phase. One or two just-started threads in the last week or two I've felt guilty about not repyling to, as I've been more burned out of late. If a few regulars are in that mode, it can lead to regrettable but largely unavoidable gaps in time before a thread really gets going. But stick with the place and hopefully you'll find it a supportive one.  

• Hi Mark.

Sorry to hear you are struggling so much.

I think it's a good idea to post threads in the morning for them to have the greatest chance of replies.

With regards to the advice you are looking for, I'm not sure from the question what areas of your experience you need advice on.

It would be good if you could clarify a little and maybe more specific.

Struggling desperately with outside/external noise.

Do you mean ordinary noise once you are outside the house so is your house peaceful?

If that is the case, then the house is a retreat but you say you are 'stuck' in it, so you feel trapped?

Having to use earplugs + noise-cancelling headphones at same time, pretty much all the time.

That's something I've read quite often here.  Others do that too.

Unfortunately, if that works, I can't personally see a better alternative.

Had zero help or support

I was diagnosed last year and haven't received any support but then I haven't sought any.

You say that there are no local support groups availabe, but have you sought counselling at all either privately or through the GP?

I know that others say counselling doesn't  help with autism, but it can help with areas you struggle with sometimes.

CBT helped me with social anxiety, to a degree.

Also, this forum is a very good source of support and for me personally, has been the best.

I'm going out now for several hours so won't be able to continue on this thread.

I hope you find something to help you and look forward to hearing back with replies.

Take care of yourself.

• Hello and welcome to the community.

Your post sounds like the story of my life. I considered replying last night but figured I didn't have much useful advice, as I'm struggling with the same things.

I'm sorry to hear you're living with so much noise. It's tough. I find the more I am exposed to the noise the worse my emotional reaction gets. 

I have experimented with various solutions, including yours of wearing earplugs and noise cancelling headphones together. However I hate wearing them, as they amplify my internal noise which leads to a different kind of sensory overload.

The only other thing I can suggest is distraction. The more you focus on noise the more bothersome it becomes.

I hope someone will be along soon with some useful advice. This place is good in the absence of any local support groups.

• Tell me about it...

• Typical. Ignored again. Story of my life :(