Considering requesting diagnosis at age almost 50

I don't know at this point if I have autism. Friends have suggested I may have. Some of the traits relating to autism seem to fit me whilst others do not. I can relate to difficulties in forming friendships and relationships, to experiences of sensory overload and to anxiety, particularly in social situations. I am less sure when it comes to whether I require routine - although my current situation is that I care for 9 cats, so that my life revolves around their routines. I have mostly been fully employed since 18 years old, though my CV job history is lengthy and does not demonstrate a clear cut career path, really only indicating my tenacity. I don't have a special subject I'm passionate about: my only study is of the cats (who are mostly unrelated to one another) co-operating and resolving their differences as a group.

• I think it can only help. If you get a diagnosis, you might find that there are some pathways open for you. If you don't, you won't be any worse off.

From my personal experience I didn't get a diagnosis. I have very few solid memories of my early childhood and there were lots of confusing factors which meant that it was difficult not to rule out other causes.  And, if I have understood things correctly, this is rather key for a diagnosis of autism as it's something which is observable in very early childhood. Also, I can interact very well with adults and I did so in the interview. But I know that a lot of this is learned behaviour. I know, for example, that I have to make eye contact as this affects the way my communication is received (and for me to pick up on non-verbal cues, though I find that difficult).

So, I'm still trying to "make sense" of how I am, of why I feel so "other" in social situations, for example. But I don't feel that things are substantially harder than before. I still feel that I may be autistic, it's just difficult to make the diagnosis with confidence because of lack of early evidence and confusing factors.

• I was diagnosed at 42 and close people and my employer asked me what I want to gain out of a late diagnosis. Being told you are different and feeling different all my life it gave me an identity, the ability to say I actually do belong to a group of people who are so diverse and special, I’m not weird like most people I met thought I was. It also opens up the right to ask for reasonable adjustments at work places, I am allowed to wear my headphones now and I sit in a darker part of my workplace.

I would say if you feel there is something in a diagnosis for you, do it because although it will stop you wondering and you will know one way or the other. 

• Helllo.  Everyone debates about making their first post (I think)......so I just thought I would pop up to say you are very welcome here.  I suspect there will be an influx of people to these pages now due to recent TV programmes that I have heard about with Chris Packham.

I'm in my 50's and very powerfully self-identified last year - in a blinding flash of realisation from leftfield.  Superficially, I have generally been considered far from autistic - I'm an accomplished masker - albeit with notable "quirks" that cannot be hidden.

Spending time on these pages, reading a lot, and recalling aspects of my childhood (long since forgotten or overlooked) have cemented my identity as an autist.  The people here are a tribe of great difference and variety, but their MODE of thinking chimes with mine in a way that I did not think possible.  I no longer think I am a completely "other" snowflake, but part of the rich tapestry that is autism.

I can recommend that you hang around here on the pages and see what you think and what resonates with you and your life experience.  For me, that has been immensely fulfilling.

Anyway, welcome to you.

• I'm in a similar situation at 49, have spent my whole life feeling socially awkward and over focusing on what I'm told is not important detail. Routine isn't that important to me but any interruption to what I'm doing can really throw me and I'll find it really difficult to recover.

I'm really not interested in talking with people face to face, or on social media. Making or receiving a phone call terrifies me, even from family, which causes me real problems as I often ignore incoming calls. I spent 3 hours debating with myself about posting here

I'd much rather spend Time on my own than with other people, quite often even my own partner and children. 

I watch plenty of documentaries about topics I'm interested in which really annoys my partner. I find any other form of tv/film uninteresting. I don't think I've ever managed to watch a whole film (except star wars) in one sitting. I haven't read a fiction book since I was forced to at school and would rather read something factual. When I do find something that interests me I'll collect and read as much information about it as I possibly can.

Spent my whole life believing I'm just anti-social and boring like everyone's told me (perhaps I am) but as my eldest, at 20 has just been diagnosed on the ASD I started reading and wondering if I am too.

• Look at it like getting sleds to slide down hill on snow wintertime, instead of doing it on your bum. LOL

• Not one person with autism is like another. I am very different from my daughter for example. I don’t think the term special interest is that valid anymore. It’s simply something you know a lot about and enjoy. Could be something as simple as films, knitting or collecting tea towels lol.

Dont worry about age when seeking a diagnosis. I waited until I was 48 to start mine, and was diagnosed just before my 49th birthday.

• Hi, autistic people don’t all tick the same boxes, the spectrum is huge, we are all uniquely different. I’m 55 and going through assessment at the moment. A lot of people are happy to self identify as autistic and don’t feel the need to go through an assessment. Have a look online and do an AQ50 test or Raads-r  test. They will give an indication of autism. I think there is a link through NAS. I look at it all more of a marathon, definitely not a sprint.

• I just got my diagnosis at age 45, but I've known for several years.

There are a bunch of online tests you can do at embrace-autism.com/.../  which might help you get a better idea if that's what you're looking for.  It can be a long and arduous quest getting a diagnosis, but it's okay to take it at your own pace and do what works for you.

• Welcome

I think your Special interest is Cats

Their routine is now your routine, so if you looked at that as theirs all your life it didn't occur to you, that you filled that gap this way

Visit your GP and ask for referral

• I’d recommend it. Finding out. Or just sticking around here to see if you feel more empowered to make a self diagnosis. I personally needed the formal  external validation/diagnosis and left it late in life to get it just as you have. But now I know land that helps me a lot with perspective. I wish you well whatever you decide.