Hello

I have just joined the community; I am 52 so very late to the party. I am not officially diagnosed but after seeing a counsellor recently for anxiety and chronic lifelong social anxiety I have come to realise that it is a distinct possibility I am on the spectrum.

I have spent my whole life hiding my anxiety and trying to function normally whilst always feeling different somehow but never able to figure out why. I hope that here I might be able to finally feel like I belong and rediscover my true self (I have been 'faking it' so long I am not sure I know who that is). From what I have read on here so far everyone seems very friendly and welcoming.

I work as a veterinary nurse, and have a lifelong love of animals, nature, and history. Another of my passions is Scotland - really everything about it! I also spend a lot of time reading. 

• Anyway, just thought I would say 'hi'
  • How are is everyone, it's good to hear others as it can be hard on the spectrum to I make friends. Is anyone from Newcastle upon Tyne area x I think it is good to see what people up to.  

• Its healthier to be your true self when you can, even if you have to mask at work or with family or out in public.

•  I got a bit confused as to who I was as I'm not that good with numbers overall. I'm more of a wordsmith. But I totally get the comfort thing. 

I've decided that as I've been hiding elements of myself for over 50 years in real life I would like to try something different on here amongst all you lovely people Blush 

• Being a number can be comforting to some here as its anonymous, and you don't have to stress over coming up with a name - you can just focus on saying what you want to say.  The numbers are too similar though so a name helps with familiarity, and getting to know people here.

• Just worked out the name change thing - seems a bit more friendly than having just a number 

• Thinking more healthily can make a big difference, though its hard work to learn and hard to keep it going but its well worth it when your anxiety fades.

It should help with social anxiety, if your thinking is affecting social situations - but there may be more to it than social anxiety.  Mindfulness can help with social anxiety - if you focus on what others are saying rather than your own thoughts/feelings then you will be better able to talk because you aren't fretting about talking.

Sensory triggers can really affect autistic people, so having a break from them really helps - though managing them better with CBT can also help, and also mindfulness.

• Hi Autimator,

Thanks for your warm welcome. You are right about nature it's such an important thing for me and I instantly feel more calm when I'm amongst it. I am spoilt for choice of wonderful places to go near me.

I am still having CBT for my anxiety - it seems to be having positive effects so far for my general anxiety less so for the social side but is a work in progress. 

Sensory wise I prefer quiet places lots of noise adds to my sense of unease and crowded places upset me as its quite important for me to have my personal space - I hate it when you're forced onto physical contact with strangers due to lack of space - yeuch.

• Hi, and welcome,

Yes, seems likely that you may be autistic - fairly classic signs there; anxiety, social difficulties, masking, and (perhaps) a preference of animals/things to people.

Autistic people can be more prone to anxiety, and its worth analysing your thoughts as they can cause/increase anxiety, but also sensory issues can cause anxiety so also worse analysing what your triggers might be.

I recommend CBT techniques and mindfulness to help with thoughts and feelings - its helped me reduce my anxiety, and my depression as lifted.

Animals and nature are great for calming feelings like anxiety - I go for walks in nature and also like spotting wildlife, both are good for me.  Parts of Scotland are great for nature, so I hope/assume you get out amongst it.

• Hi, thank you for your welcome. 

• Thank you. It's been great so far - so many interesting topics. 

• Hi there! I'm 41 and only recently discovered I'm autistic so you are not alone! Hope you enjoy the community.

• Hi Kate,

Thanks for your reply. Yes that's totally it - the feeling that others seem to find things SO easy and even though on the surface I give nothing away (people often comment how calm I am) if only they could see inside my head...chaos!

My job is great if full on. It's weird but with all my social difficulties once I put on my uniform it's almost like I'm a different person...when I get home though I'm mentally done in with all the interactions and can hardly function at times.

And finally, yes I live in Scotland now though I'm actually an Essex girl. I've been obsessed with it since I was a teenager and still love it. But yes, midges are a curse! However they do keep our lovely scenery from getting too crowded....

• Thank you Roy. It's good to know there are like minded souls out there who just 'get it'. I am still undecided about if or when I want to go down the diagnosis route but feel joining this community will definitely help me. 

• Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

• Hi - nice to meet you :) 

I think a lot of people come to this realisation quite late in life. Better late than never I suppose! I’m in a similar position except that it was having children who were diagnosed with autism that also made me realise that I was autistic. It is exhausting trying to fit in when you’re autistic - and it takes a toll on mental health too. I feel I’ve always had to work so hard in life at things that many people find so easy. 

it must be wonderful to work with animals - what a wonderful job to have. Do you live in Scotland? I used to go on holiday there as a child with my parents - it is really beautiful. I can’t stand the midges though and it puts me off going in recent years. I remember going to a beautiful beach at Arisaig, and going on the ferry to Skye. 

• Hi, welcome, I’m 54 and just at the start of diagnosis. Don’t  mask here, you just end up worn out!  Really nice group of people and no nastiness, any question is valid. Enjoy.

• Welcome to the gang!

No need to fake it here. We all understand. Just be you.