Difficulty with jobs

Hi my name is Phil

My daughter who is 19 is wanting to get a job but she struggles. She was diagnosed with autism/ aspurgers at school she has difficulty with people she doesn't know and with being in a large group of people. She has had a job which unfortunately only lasted a few hours but in that time she was unable to cope with it. Now she is starting another new job soon but it is in sales over the phone. Which I think she's not understood what it entails and she's been a bit railroaded in to it. She has already started to panic about it and stressed But if she doesn't go she could have a job benefit taken from her. Any help/advice would be appreciated

Thank you

• ^ reported troll/spam.

• This link by Temple Grandin called "Choosing the Right Job for People with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome" could be useful for you:

https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/irca/articles/choosing-the-right-job-for-people-with-autism-or-aspergers-syndrome.html

• oof over the phone sales, lotta over the phone communication.

i find phone communication worse than in person communication at times. you cant understand the person as much as the speakers on phones are rubbish these days and everyone has different accents you cant understand so i personally never understand anyone over the phone, hard enough in person but over the phone i find its worse and makes me more anxious than the person being there speaking in person. hell when my phone rings i hesistate and most of the times i cancel their call. has she thought on that and whether she is suited to speaking to lots of people over the phone all day every day

• HI Phil - I echo Alex's comments - I've done sales jobs before and hated them. It's very high pressure as it's results focused (I always thought that was really unfair as I tried really hard but never got anywhere because it really wasn't my skillset).

Does she get any careers guidance from a job centre? (I'm afraid I'm a little ignorant of how that side of things works).  It seems ridiculous (though nothing this government does really surprises me much any more) that there is such little consideration of her diagnosis in pushing her into a job that is clearly not suitable.

If they are useless, are you able to help her with trying to identify any skills she has? For example if she has good attention to detail and something more task-based like data entry as someone else mentioned might be less pressured.

• Personally I wouldn’t recommend a sales job on a phone(unless she really enjoys talking on the phone to people. As it is so much harder to understand how someone is feeling when you can’t see their face.) What she really needs is to find a job where they are fully supportive of her needs and are able to make adjustments. Do you have any family members or friends who work anywhere that are advertising jobs? It doesn’t have to be a dream job at this stage. My older autistic brother was 19 when he 1st had a job. I was 16- working at a soft play centre and they needed more staff so he applied and got the job. It took about 3 months for him to find his feet and it really helped that I was there to give him the support as I understood what his strengths and weakness were. I was able to stand up for him as well-I hate that people have to be so mean. But it really did work out well for him, no it wasn’t a dream job for either of us but it gave him the confidence that he could work . And now he is a NHS Porter and has worked nearly everyday of the pandemic. I couldn’t have ever imagined him doing a job like that! It’s truly amazing how far you can come. You just have to find the right path.

• Hi ,

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter has been struggling with getting a job. 

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer direct support to people who are searching for work. However, here are some resources which may help: 

Firstly, our ‘Finding Work’ handbook aims to support autistic job seekers to find work. This digital workbook is designed to help autistic adults prepare themselves for employment. Topics include understanding autism better, choosing a suitable role, applying for roles, preparing for and getting through interviews, finding work experience, working on communication and social skills, managing anxiety and preparing for the workplace. It can be downloaded for free here: https://www.autism.org.uk/shop/products/books-and-resources/finding-work-interactive-ebook 

We have also made available a free online learning module designed to help autistic job seekers entering the job market in understanding their strengths and what next steps they could take towards gaining meaningful employment or work: 
    https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/professional-development/training-and-conferences/employment/finding-employment 

Additionally, it could be worthwhile looking at the Evenbreak website for listed job vacancies (http://www.evenbreak.co.uk/). Even break matches disabled job seekers with employers looking to build a diverse workforce. 

The British Association of Supported Employment, who have a database of supported employment agencies, so you can search for one in your local area: www.base-uk.org 

Remploy, an organisation which supports people with disabilities and those experiencing complex barriers to work, into mainstream employment: www.remploy.co.uk 

I have also included a link to our job-page: 

https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/work-for-us 

Within this page you can click on our job and volunteering page to find out about our current employment and volunteering opportunities with The National Autistic Society. We particularly welcome applications from autistic people. 

Finally, you can find more information about seeking a job, and about your rights in work here: 

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/employment 

I hope this helps,

ChloeMod