Hello! I'm in need of a companion.

Hello, I'm 16 and I have autism and ADHD. I've been quite lonely for the past few weeks and I need a friend to keep me company.

I've been finding College really stressful because of the massive crowds of people I've never seen before and the really loud noise levels. I'm also scared of people possibly bullying me because I was bullied a lot in secondary school. I'm currently doing a course which puts me at home most of the week. I really enjoy drawing from my imagination and I would have hoped to do something like that at College but it's not working out at all.

When I'm at home, I usually play video games on either my Nintendo Switch and PC but, as you might have guessed, I've been playing single player a lot and it's impossible to keep on enjoying it alone. I like games like 'Minecraft' or 'Garry's Mod' where it allows you to experiment and create what you want. I would also like to share my drawings with others. I mostly draw imaginary characters which are human-shaped animals/creatures with differing personalities and traits.

I would really like to meet someone who accepts who I am because this is the first time I've really asked for a friend like this.

• I draw in a kind of realistic but cartoony style, like manga or anime. I'm much better at drawing from my imagination than copying something from in front of me. I was so relieved when I found out what kind of work I was doing for my second year doing GCSE art. Unlike the first year, I got to do what form of art I enjoyed the most. Then when I went to College and tried the art and design course, that freedom just vanished. I could only draw from my head, not my desk.

• That course sounds interesting! I did GCSE art but my school put so much pressure on that it just killed the subject for me and I didn't do any art for ages. I guess it was kinda funny, I chose Expression so that I could draw people then got really stressed out when I realised I don't understand facial expressions! I like drawing realistic pencil portraits of people mostly, and I listen to audiobooks at the same time. What style to you draw in?

• I'm 16, turning 17 next January and I sometimes listen to computer game music to calm me down. I'll see what these ear bud loops are. They sound really helpful. Thank you for the kind words!

• The course I'm currently doing is 'Routes into art' which I'm doing for around 2 hours a week. I'm doing 1 to 1 work because I find the regular class to be quite intimidating. Also, I completely get everything you said. What are your drawings like?

• Hey there sorry to hear this has been happening I totally understand where your coming from. I'm to autistic. I have been where you have been

Sounds like when you draw you can escape. May I ask your age? Have you tried music therapy. I am a musician in training as a music therapist. If your interested in virtual guitar lessons as an escape.i like to help. 

Remember your not alone. Its difficult out there but it seems like you are finding outlets such as drawing a good thing. Can I recommend ear bud loops there really helpful you can block out the noise partly and still hear and focus on your work or in busy environments. You can buy these on amazon. 

• Hi Dale, I'm sixteen as well and also lonely! My name is Annie (I'm using my mum's account on here). I've just started college this year, but I find it so hard to interact with teenagers where everything is sarcasm and banter I don't understand. People think I'm weird because I'm a tomboy and I sit in the corner with my headphones on, and fiddle with my hands and don't do small talk. I don't have any proper real friends, but I spend almost all my time in my room with my imaginary friends which I also draw and write stories about. What course are you studying at college? I'm sure you will have friends when you are older; I'm autistic too and am told it's a fact that most autistic people don't fit in at school.

• I'm really grateful for the support you have all shown me! It really helps and it's a lovely warm welcome to the National Autistic Society. I think I'm going to really enjoy my time here!

• You can definitely find friends here, there are other members who like gaming too.

• Hi Dale, welcome!

I hope you make some friends here Slight smile

Dawn S

• Hi Dale,

Welcome to this forum Slight smile

Feel free to join in any of the discussions and/or start your own discussion

• Thank you. I really appreciate that!

• Welcome home, Dale C!

I hope that you have a pleasant experience here. We don't bite!