Hello! I'm in need of a companion.

Hello, I'm 16 and I have autism and ADHD. I've been quite lonely for the past few weeks and I need a friend to keep me company.

I've been finding College really stressful because of the massive crowds of people I've never seen before and the really loud noise levels. I'm also scared of people possibly bullying me because I was bullied a lot in secondary school. I'm currently doing a course which puts me at home most of the week. I really enjoy drawing from my imagination and I would have hoped to do something like that at College but it's not working out at all.

When I'm at home, I usually play video games on either my Nintendo Switch and PC but, as you might have guessed, I've been playing single player a lot and it's impossible to keep on enjoying it alone. I like games like 'Minecraft' or 'Garry's Mod' where it allows you to experiment and create what you want. I would also like to share my drawings with others. I mostly draw imaginary characters which are human-shaped animals/creatures with differing personalities and traits.

I would really like to meet someone who accepts who I am because this is the first time I've really asked for a friend like this.

Parents
  • Hi Dale, I'm sixteen as well and also lonely! My name is Annie (I'm using my mum's account on here). I've just started college this year, but I find it so hard to interact with teenagers where everything is sarcasm and banter I don't understand. People think I'm weird because I'm a tomboy and I sit in the corner with my headphones on, and fiddle with my hands and don't do small talk. I don't have any proper real friends, but I spend almost all my time in my room with my imaginary friends which I also draw and write stories about. What course are you studying at college? I'm sure you will have friends when you are older; I'm autistic too and am told it's a fact that most autistic people don't fit in at school.

• The course I'm currently doing is 'Routes into art' which I'm doing for around 2 hours a week. I'm doing 1 to 1 work because I find the regular class to be quite intimidating. Also, I completely get everything you said. What are your drawings like?

• That course sounds interesting! I did GCSE art but my school put so much pressure on that it just killed the subject for me and I didn't do any art for ages. I guess it was kinda funny, I chose Expression so that I could draw people then got really stressed out when I realised I don't understand facial expressions! I like drawing realistic pencil portraits of people mostly, and I listen to audiobooks at the same time. What style to you draw in?

• I'd love to see some of your artwork! Most of mine is still at school from GCSE though I have a few drawings I've been doing recently which I could show you if you want. (I've been mostly going through a creative writing phase the last few weeks...)

• I know exactly what you mean. I've always been quite protective of my artwork because I don't know what people might say about it and I've never been able to take criticism well. Speaking of which, I'd love to see your artwork and perhaps show you mine as well. If so, I'd be more comfortable doing it where it's just us two.

• I used to draw manga when I was younger as well, and illustrate my own stories. Usually I only draw my characters now when I can't be bothered to describe them. I'm very good at drawing things exactly as they are in real life because I'm very observant, but I hate being in an art class where everyone looks at my work and comments about it.

• I used to draw manga when I was younger as well, and illustrate my own stories. Usually I only draw my characters now when I can't be bothered to describe them. I'm very good at drawing things exactly as they are in real life because I'm very observant, but I hate being in an art class where everyone looks at my work and comments about it.

Children
  • I'd love to see some of your artwork! Most of mine is still at school from GCSE though I have a few drawings I've been doing recently which I could show you if you want. (I've been mostly going through a creative writing phase the last few weeks...)

• I know exactly what you mean. I've always been quite protective of my artwork because I don't know what people might say about it and I've never been able to take criticism well. Speaking of which, I'd love to see your artwork and perhaps show you mine as well. If so, I'd be more comfortable doing it where it's just us two.