Hello!

Hey all,

I just joined the community and wanted to say hi.

I have just been diagnosed with autism (at age 46), and I feel like a child again.

Meaning I now wonder what is going to happen next.

My diagnoses has helped me and my family understand a lot of my past, but I'm still coming to terms I actually have autism.

• Hi Rob

I have not been diagnosed but last week I was referred for an assessment and memories and atmospheres of childhood came back to me. I felt like I felt then which was a backward retard (not the word that should be used now of course).  The feelings have passed. You are not a child but a human on a journey of discovery.

• u're most welcome here----- did u get your diagnosis in Cambridgeshire ?

• Thanks Tassimo,

I'm from Cambrideshire!

Not sure if it was NHS who diadnosed me, I only got tested because the court ordeed it Open mouth.

I will know more when I receive the full report in about 7-14 days.

• Thanks Aidie,

I'm from Cambridehrshire Slight smile

• Hello, Rob. I was diagnosed this year. Welcome to the tribe!

As part of the NHS diagnosis, I was allocated  an autism support worker who I meet with for 1-2-1 post-diagnosis sessions (12 weeks in total). They come to an end next week and then I will be invited to attend weekly group sessions with other newly diagnosed adults. These sessions will be lead by a clinical psychologist and are expected to last for 11 weeks.

I think the support that's available to you after diagnosis depends on where in the UK (or world) you are. Usually, with the NHS, if there is any support package available, it kicks in automatically after a positive diagnosis.

• Hello Rob, and welcome,

What happens next? Well, in my case it was a gradual acceptance. Many things from my past started to make sense as ancient angst resolved itself and I began to better understand myself; I now feel a lot calmer inside than I have ever done. Sticking a label on my condition was the best thing that could have happened - and I had to wait until I was in my mid-sixties to get that label.

The only advice I would give you is to hold back on disclosing the diagnosis, it's not really anybody's business but yours and your family's. Read up on the condition, read this forum, watch utube videos and learn; then think about disclosing - all in your own time.

I hope you get some 'lightbulb' moments, if you haven't already had them.

Best of luck,

Ben

• Hi Rob  how did I miss your Intro ! Slight smile

To be honest most people are left on their own if they are High Functioning.

But mention the city u live in ( or closest city or county ) so others from your area can help.

• Hello Rob,

Welcome to this forum! There are many users here that have been diagnosed at around your age. I hope that you'll enjoy this forum and make new friends.

All the best,

Karin Mod