Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hi Susie163,

Yes, I had the same reaction to a lot of what I have read on this site.  However, I believe that we can, or you can, make the site what you want it to be, or use it to your best ability - make it work for you.

I'm glad you responded because perhpas we are kindred spirits.  I, too, believe being involved with my husband has taught me the same gifts you mention above.  I think some folks use the website for venting their frustrations only and have found someone who wants to do the same in return.

I am in a 16 year relationship.  I find that emphasizing the positive works far better for me than dwelling in the negative.  For instance, today is my day off.  I woke my husband early and asked if he would join me to try a new restaurant for breakfast and then take a long walk at Land's End.  We live in San Francisco.  He agreed.  He did not like the food the first time for breakfast nor the second for lunch.  However, he walked with me for several hours on the Coastal Trail and down to the beach, and paid for both meals, and took the long bus ride home.  He's quite dedicated.  None of these activities would have been his choice.  He was quiet, doesn't say much, but hsi willingness to join me shows that he cares.

I hope you can share more of your positive experiences Susie163 about your experiences with autism.  I look forward to reading.  Maybe we can get more folks to  share their positive experiences with partners on the Austistic spectrum.

Best,

Artsy

• Hi Susie163,

Yes, I had the same reaction to a lot of what I have read on this site.  However, I believe that we can, or you can, make the site what you want it to be, or use it to your best ability - make it work for you.

I'm glad you responded because perhpas we are kindred spirits.  I, too, believe being involved with my husband has taught me the same gifts you mention above.  I think some folks use the website for venting their frustrations only and have found someone who wants to do the same in return.

I am in a 16 year relationship.  I find that emphasizing the positive works far better for me than dwelling in the negative.  For instance, today is my day off.  I woke my husband early and asked if he would join me to try a new restaurant for breakfast and then take a long walk at Land's End.  We live in San Francisco.  He agreed.  He did not like the food the first time for breakfast nor the second for lunch.  However, he walked with me for several hours on the Coastal Trail and down to the beach, and paid for both meals, and took the long bus ride home.  He's quite dedicated.  None of these activities would have been his choice.  He was quiet, doesn't say much, but hsi willingness to join me shows that he cares.

I hope you can share more of your positive experiences Susie163 about your experiences with autism.  I look forward to reading.  Maybe we can get more folks to  share their positive experiences with partners on the Austistic spectrum.

Best,

Artsy

Children
No Data