Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hi Rosemary,

I wanted to share a positive message about my Aspie husband.  I recently recovered from a long illness and 2 major surgeries.  My husband was my sole care taker.  I am now back on my feet, have found a lovely part-time job and our grown children are healthier now than in the past.  Life is much better.

This past week's holiday celebration is my topic.  MY husband is retired.  He loves to muddle around in the backyard, rearrange plants and such.  For our get together with family and friends, he worked many days preparing not just the back yard, but most of the side dishes.  We had a lovely get together.

His short coming is his lack of socializing.  He does not understand key nuances.  It has taken me years to understand and lots of therapy.  However, he does okay in low key get togethers.

I must say that I am quite proud of all the work and personal touches he put forth for our party.  The event gave me such a sense of peace.  He even told me a few days before how much he loved me.

I see my husband opening up in his elderly years.  He is doing all the things he loves to do and is trying to enhance my life also.

We definitely hit our rough spots and use 'active listening' to get through it.  However, I find that I must fill the needs which he cannot.  My most hopeful need is to find a close girlfriend.  I have had difficulty in that area because I've been embarassed by my husband's odd ways.  I think I'm realizing now, that other people have relationship problems, too.  It's taken so long for me to grow up.

Wanted to share the good news.

Artsy

• Hi Rosemary,

I wanted to share a positive message about my Aspie husband.  I recently recovered from a long illness and 2 major surgeries.  My husband was my sole care taker.  I am now back on my feet, have found a lovely part-time job and our grown children are healthier now than in the past.  Life is much better.

This past week's holiday celebration is my topic.  MY husband is retired.  He loves to muddle around in the backyard, rearrange plants and such.  For our get together with family and friends, he worked many days preparing not just the back yard, but most of the side dishes.  We had a lovely get together.

His short coming is his lack of socializing.  He does not understand key nuances.  It has taken me years to understand and lots of therapy.  However, he does okay in low key get togethers.

I must say that I am quite proud of all the work and personal touches he put forth for our party.  The event gave me such a sense of peace.  He even told me a few days before how much he loved me.

I see my husband opening up in his elderly years.  He is doing all the things he loves to do and is trying to enhance my life also.

We definitely hit our rough spots and use 'active listening' to get through it.  However, I find that I must fill the needs which he cannot.  My most hopeful need is to find a close girlfriend.  I have had difficulty in that area because I've been embarassed by my husband's odd ways.  I think I'm realizing now, that other people have relationship problems, too.  It's taken so long for me to grow up.

Wanted to share the good news.

Artsy

Children
No Data