Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hi Rosemary,

So pleased the outcome was positive with the school dispite the useless support?!  I have heard of parent partnership but do not really understand their role?  but it does not sound as if i am missing out on anything if that is to go on!

How is your little boy through all of this?

My sons school bus changed this week and we were asked to supply child seats for the bus,  (the old bus was involved in a head on collision with a snow plough, no kids on board thankfully)!  Well my son would not get on the bus with a child seat this morning, he threw a bit of a wobbly and was crying said no one else would have one, (he may be right as they are not hot on safety up here).  The school actually brought him home without a child seat last week when the new bus arrived, my husband was furious!  He has now written a couple of angry letters to the school, which i understand but it does not help relations!! Undecided  He tends to jump in to these things.  A real mr Angry!  Anyway i had to bring my son in to school in our car , he wants to see if anyone else has a car seat on the bus.  I will have to collect him later too and hopefully tomorrow he would have accepted the child seat idea (as long as he is not the only one)?!  It often takes him a while to accept new things.   He is the same with new shoes , coats or bags has to wear them with us first to get used to the idea before he will eventually be ok bringing or wearing them at school.

Hubby is really keen on the home schooling idea, he is really starting to push it now, (you may have seen my other thread on the chat section)  I am holding off as long as i can.   Really hard to know what to do for the best?  I think my husband sees it as a way to reduce stress all round for him and my son (probably not for me though)!  not sure i come into the eqation?  Not unusaul though is it?!  I am happy to home school , althougfh i know it will be hard, just worried about getting the timing right, and his future social skills, exams etc.

Not surprised you have nothing to comment on to the counsellor, you have had enough to deal with.  Maybe that is the starting point though Title" the little things you can do to support your partner through a crisis" Wink

Take care Rosemary

Puffin xxx

• Hi Rosemary,

So pleased the outcome was positive with the school dispite the useless support?!  I have heard of parent partnership but do not really understand their role?  but it does not sound as if i am missing out on anything if that is to go on!

How is your little boy through all of this?

My sons school bus changed this week and we were asked to supply child seats for the bus,  (the old bus was involved in a head on collision with a snow plough, no kids on board thankfully)!  Well my son would not get on the bus with a child seat this morning, he threw a bit of a wobbly and was crying said no one else would have one, (he may be right as they are not hot on safety up here).  The school actually brought him home without a child seat last week when the new bus arrived, my husband was furious!  He has now written a couple of angry letters to the school, which i understand but it does not help relations!! Undecided  He tends to jump in to these things.  A real mr Angry!  Anyway i had to bring my son in to school in our car , he wants to see if anyone else has a car seat on the bus.  I will have to collect him later too and hopefully tomorrow he would have accepted the child seat idea (as long as he is not the only one)?!  It often takes him a while to accept new things.   He is the same with new shoes , coats or bags has to wear them with us first to get used to the idea before he will eventually be ok bringing or wearing them at school.

Hubby is really keen on the home schooling idea, he is really starting to push it now, (you may have seen my other thread on the chat section)  I am holding off as long as i can.   Really hard to know what to do for the best?  I think my husband sees it as a way to reduce stress all round for him and my son (probably not for me though)!  not sure i come into the eqation?  Not unusaul though is it?!  I am happy to home school , althougfh i know it will be hard, just worried about getting the timing right, and his future social skills, exams etc.

Not surprised you have nothing to comment on to the counsellor, you have had enough to deal with.  Maybe that is the starting point though Title" the little things you can do to support your partner through a crisis" Wink

Take care Rosemary

Puffin xxx

Children
No Data