Hello

Hi I am waiting for an assessment for autism and just wondered if anybody could give me an insight into what the assessment is like and what happens at them thanks. 

• Hello,

I live in Belgium,The diagnosis consisted of 4 sessions of about 2 to 3 hours each with a very detailed iq-test, some tests (a situation described in a picture or in a story) to check your empathy and your ability to cope with change. 

I discovered that some of my brain functions work remarkably well (abstract thinking) but others were a bit less developed (working memory, planning ability). This could be explained by chaotic thinking, scattered brain, all focus on detail, lack of overview. 

This means that the ideal job for me is in accounting and it, where details tends to be important.

• Ahh thanks for your replies both of you! you have put my mind at ease. I was stressing over it but not so much now thanks again. 

• mine was shorter an initial interview ( I handed over all the evidence why I thought I was autistic eg list of traits, family members, issues at work, someone suggesting I was autistic!

then an observation test with one person asking me to do tasks while someone else watched

1 month later they said without doubt I was ( handed me a report ) ! .....  I thought no way !  ..... but it was so useful to know :)  

• Hello and welcome Slight smile

I had an initial assessment after taking more tests for about an hour ,a general talk about your life , feelings , behaviours. 

Then a further 4 assessments over a month with more indepth questions about yourself ,

They asked me if they could contact a trusted family member , It was conducted very slowly and with calmness ,Your given time to respond . 

With a final diagnosis meeting describing the outcome of  diagnosis , 

I was told at the initial assessment that a panel get together afterwards and reviewed the information to see if a spectrum diagnosis is suspected.