Hi!

Hi - I have recently just got on the waiting list for an autism assessment in Scotland, and am hoping that I'll be able to chat to people here while I wait for my appointment. Does anyone have any advice for what to do while they wait to be assessed - waiting has never been my strength! I'm currently looking at about a year...

I'm a 26 year old female, and it was only in the last year that the psychologist  I was seeing for anxiety mentioned that she thought I could be on the spectrum. All I can say is it makes so much sense to me, and I've definitely found myself deep diving into the subject of autism. Slight smile

• I'm looking at possibly going private, it's something to consider if waiting is difficult and it suits your situation. I hope to have a dog one day myself too Slight smile 

• Thanks - that is definitely my experience! I hope the waiting time flies by :) I can't, unfortunately, say that the puppy is mine but one day I hope to have one! 

• Thank you - fingers crossed! x

• Thanks - I have tried to find as many sources as I can that can help me, but I will keep looking! And hope you don't have long to wait too! X

• start brainwashing yourself with the idea that you are exactly the same now as you will be a second after your diagnosis ,wish I hadn't had the autistic part but says that everybody is going to be nice, when I joined an autistic community online it would be perfect but there were no better than anywhere else, in fact they can be worse because you can't see them

• Hi Slight smile

I'm a female in my 20s. I have recently joined that waiting list myself, and have been seen for mental illness before they considered autism. I am enjoying finding out as much information about myself and what I can do to help my life in general, such as improvements in work conditions, and figuring out general strategies for coping with sensitivities, such as loud noises and bright lights. I find if you fill your time with your favourite hobbies and focus on improving every aspect of your life, time starts to fly by. 

Cute puppy by the way. 

• Hi! Welcome to the forum Slight smile:) I'm 25 and I've been on the waiting list for just over a year now. 

I've also been deep diving into autism. One thing that's helped while waiting for my assessment is learning about coping strategies for things like sensory issues. Purple Ella does some amazing YouTube videos that have really helped me understand myself better and feel less alone.

Hope you don't have to wait too long for your appointment.