Newly Diagnosed as an Adult

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with ASD around a month ago, in my 20s. I'm feeling quite alone and at sea with the new diagnosis, especially since there seems to be no post-diagnostic support or local groups where I live, so thought I'd make an account and say hi. I hope you're all doing okay today.

Parents
  • Hello and welcome to the forum! Unfortunately there appears to be a vacuum of post diagnostic support for many people! How are you feeling bout your diagnosis?

• Thank you. Yeh I'm really feeling that.... Have no idea what to do with myself now. Can't find any local support groups or anything. Been having really mixed feelings about the diagnosis I think. First it was a relief to finally understand and it made so much sense of everything in my life up till now. Then I went through a kind of denial phase of thinking I'd somehow tricked the assessor into making the diagnosis wrongly. And now I've kind of hit a hopeless stage where I feel like I don't know how to change anything or how to cope with it on my own. Other people's reactions also haven't been what I'd hoped so that's been hard... How did you find it when you got diagnosed? (assuming you are of course, you may not be!) 

• Have you asked your local autism services about post diagnostic support? Failing that your GP might be able to signpost you to something? I started my own local social group for Autistic women after my diagnosis last December, helpful for me and for others! I have 20 members and still growing! It can be a mixture of emotions following diagnosis, I’m still adjusting but over all I’m quite positive about it, I understand myself a lot better now than I used to! I’m sorry to hear that other people’s reactions haven’t been what you’d hoped for. Who has reacted negatively and what did they say/do? 

• No worries! I hope you enjoy the group! Yeah that's exactly it, blaming things they have done wrong on our Aspergers/Autism because it's easier than accepting that they are wrong! So annoying! I think that most people would find it rude if someone was nosing at them opening a private envelope or parcel, it is an invasion of privacy! My eldest daughter (21) is always borrowing my things without asking, I have to hide my hair brush and my footsie socks otherwise they go missing! My husband always tells people all sorts of things about me without my permission, he's like a newspaper! I HATE the insinuation that because I'm Autistic, that I can't have a valid point or opinion, it's so demeaning! You're not ranting at all, these are issues that I have to contend with frequently too! 

• No worries! I hope you enjoy the group! Yeah that's exactly it, blaming things they have done wrong on our Aspergers/Autism because it's easier than accepting that they are wrong! So annoying! I think that most people would find it rude if someone was nosing at them opening a private envelope or parcel, it is an invasion of privacy! My eldest daughter (21) is always borrowing my things without asking, I have to hide my hair brush and my footsie socks otherwise they go missing! My husband always tells people all sorts of things about me without my permission, he's like a newspaper! I HATE the insinuation that because I'm Autistic, that I can't have a valid point or opinion, it's so demeaning! You're not ranting at all, these are issues that I have to contend with frequently too! 

Children
No Data