New to Autism

I'm an emotional mom of a 14yr old newly diagnosed autistic son. He is so angry with himself when he has his meltdowns. I make him safe when he's punching and kicking out, I sit at a distance as he doesn't like being touched. But all I can do is cry as I feel so helpless. Tell me I'm not alone or the only one

Parents

• I'm an emotional mom of a 14yr old newly diagnosed autistic son. He is so angry with himself when he has his meltdowns. I make him safe when he's punching and kicking out, I sit at a distance as he doesn't like being touched. But all I can do is cry as I feel so helpless. Tell me I'm not alone or the only one

You are 'so' not alone ~ if it is not meltdowns it is seizures or 'lock-ins' (i.e. the body falls asleep but the mind remains awake).

In terms of how alone you are not though, click or tap on this link 'meltdowns' and you will see at least 1,883 results if it updates or not as time goes on.

The general advice is clock the triggers, and find a way for him or get him to find a way of burning off the build up of stress before it becomes hypertensively explosive, such as going for runs or bike rides etc, or to direct the aggression at a punch bag or something.

It is good to read that that you keep your distance when he is having a meltdown; keeping you and him safe is just so important. Well done! :-)

• I'm an emotional mom of a 14yr old newly diagnosed autistic son. He is so angry with himself when he has his meltdowns. I make him safe when he's punching and kicking out, I sit at a distance as he doesn't like being touched. But all I can do is cry as I feel so helpless. Tell me I'm not alone or the only one

You are 'so' not alone ~ if it is not meltdowns it is seizures or 'lock-ins' (i.e. the body falls asleep but the mind remains awake).

In terms of how alone you are not though, click or tap on this link 'meltdowns' and you will see at least 1,883 results if it updates or not as time goes on.

The general advice is clock the triggers, and find a way for him or get him to find a way of burning off the build up of stress before it becomes hypertensively explosive, such as going for runs or bike rides etc, or to direct the aggression at a punch bag or something.

It is good to read that that you keep your distance when he is having a meltdown; keeping you and him safe is just so important. Well done! :-)

Children
No Data