Employment adult aspergers

My son is 27 . He needs help to find work .he is very intelligent. He has degree in history and politics .He has applied for so many  jobs   thanks

Parents
  • Your son is not in an uncommon position with only 15% on the spectrum in full time employment. It sounds like that your some may have had some rejection which won’t help. I totally agree with Emma’s comment that speaking to a Disability Employment Advisor is a good step. Depending on how long ago your Son graduated from University, he may still be able to access the Career support service. There any also be local initiatives in your area.

Best wishes to your son in his Job Search.

• I’m trying to get another job but can’t every time I mention about autism they back off I’m 47 I’m thinking about giving up 

Reply Children
  • I can identify and emphasize with you.

I was dismissed from my last job after 5 months for a variety of reasons.

Firstly I was still within a six month probationary period so it was easier to get rid of me.

I didn't mention autism until my dismissal hearing to explain my unusual and unorthodox behaviour.

Their reasons for letting  me go were:

1. Unusual & unorthodox behaviour.
    2. Not being a team player & not trusted to work unsupervised.
    3. Not taking up certain help and support that was made available to me.
    4. Accepting other help and support that was available.   And the COST of providing the help and support.

At the hearing it was obvious that my direct  managers and the HR representative were desperate to get rid of me.

• That’s horrible, I’m sorry your facing this type of discrimination. Normally, at the application/job interview stage, the only thing that should be discussed is whether you need any reasonable adjustments for the interview. The employer is not allowed to ask health questions unless it is to find out if you can undertake an intrinsic task (employers need to be careful on this). If an applicant volunteers health information then it should not be considered unless it affects an intrinsic task. 

Should you be successful, then disclosure of diagnosis can be made as part of a health check. If you feel that you have been discriminated against, consider seeking advice such as from ACAS, Disabilty Law Service, Trade Union, CAB or legal representative (I can only add really general guidance on this response).

The following articles might be of help: 

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/legal-qa-what-health-questions-can-employers-ask-during-the-recruitment-process/ 

http://www.shoosmiths.co.uk/client-resources/legal-updates/Job-applicants-health-Can-employers-ask-about-it-4691.aspx 

I hope things work out for you.

• I'm so sorry to hear that.  I can understand your frustration and I can totally empathise with you as my son is struggling to find employment too.  What can I say but, keep trying.  I'm sure someone out there will recognise that you have the skills and attributes to make a loyal, hardworking and committed employee.  Frankly, if I had a business I would too discriminate, but for autism as people with ASD have so much to offer.   Maybe next time you could try not mentioning your autism.  I'm sure there's no law that says you have to disclose your ASD.   It's just a thought.