Where do I start?

So I'm new here, new to taking steps towards reaching out for support and seeking help. 

First of all I guess I'd better introduce myself, I'm Lydia 27, I have two children. My 9 year old son is the reason I'm here.

When marley was a baby I knew he was autistic, showing traits of autism. Mild? I don't even know what is the correct way of explaining.

When he was in year 2 I took it as far to attempt to have him assessed. I failed, didn't know what I was doing and that time in life was not good. Fast forward a few years he is now 9. I can't just carry on without support and help anymore its becoming hard because I'm doing it wrong. 

What steps do I take? What do I do?

On Monday after school I'm going to speak to his teacher, she's already told me I need to see a gp forest but I want to explain why I am to her, and get the schools support. 

My plan is to start a diary on Monday, a behavioural diary. And I will do this from now until the summer holidays end. I will also write a list of past and present traits, reasons I know he is different. I will then take this with me and see a gp?

This is as far as I've got. And joining this site. 

Help lol x

• I think the diary is a good idea, for when you eventually go for the diagnosis, but there's nothing stopping you from taking a list of traits with you to the GP appointment, and also the diary entries between now and the day of the appointment.

There is a page on this site regarding the official NHS referral process, including the basis for making a referral decision. I think it's under "diagnosis" on the NAS site. Let me know if you can't locate it and I'll get you a link.

• Hey thanks for the reply. Do you think I should make a go appointment and go there just verbally explain with a list of his traits and still do the diary but save it for further appointments? 

Previously when my son was small I got fobbed off a lot, so I want them to take me seriously. I’ve bought two notepads for logging everything down today and the diary keeping. 

Thank you Blush 

• Welcome. It seems to me that you have made a good start. You would probably be well-advised to see a GP ASAP in order to start the assessment process, which can take a long time, and to get your son any support he needs at school next year. Also, don't blame yourself or assume you're "doing it wrong". You obviously care a lot about your child, and that is "doing it right" as far as I am concerned. Also, there are lots of parents with autistic kids on this site who are loaded with advice, so make use of the resource if you need to.