New here

Hi

Im mum to 5 children ranging from 16 -2 years.We have been dealing with a wide number of special needs for the past 14 years.

my 2.5 year old has jusy been diagnosed with autism and i was just wondering if there is anyone else whos child had been given the diagnosis so young?

Most support forums i go on are mainly school aged children, would be nice to find somone at the same point in time as we are

Thanks

• I write as the father of a 37 year old son who is severely autistic with learning  difficulties. He was diagnosed at 3.5 years by a team working with a Pediatric Neurologist at a children's hospital, this came as a relief to us his parents..

If somebody recognised your son as having problems associated with autism. at a very young age.

Firstly I suggest that you make your G.P. aware of this recognition diagnosis and ask for help in relation to help from the Social services. 

Secondly I suggest  you see your local Citizens Advice Bureau and ask for  help in determining what if any additional Social Security Help you may be, or become entitled to, in regard to your most probably handicapped son. This may include Legal help for him, or you on his behalf to cope.

I am an un-paid Carer of Last resort, one of two needed, in this respect, Still  at 80 after 35 years. Still fighting for his rights. His 5 other siblings live normal lives.

• My little boy was diagnosed at 16 months. Then 6 months later she said she’s 98% sure. But on the social side of things.  I find it so hard the older he gets. Seeing other children doing ‘normal’ things and he doesn’t  no speech yet but a lot of babbling and noise. Like he try’s to speak sometimes   Seems all he’s interested in is food and tv recently. He won’t play with me. Shuns me a lot of the time. Partner at sea for months a time so it’s just me and I feel like I’m getting so frustrated with it    I just want him to do what all others his age are - I feel so bad cause I feel like this    He’s 2 next month 

• Hi Sharmah,

We do not allow people to use the NAS online community to conduct market research, per the community rules which you can read here - https://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules

'Requests for research study subjects and surveys need to be directed to research@nas.org.uk for data protection and research ethics reasons. Further information can be found on our research pages. Please be advised that any requests for research subjects or surveys posted on the Community will be deleted without warning.'

• Hi my name Sharmah.

[Research request removed]

• Hi I am new to the society I am interested in opening a therapy centre for people with autism , ADHD , (ect) ,At this centre the students would work with our pony's learning to care and look after them and even show them at local shows. Has any body any views on this subject I would only be to pleased to share ideas . Many thanks
  • Hi Crazylady!

My little boy is 4 now but was diagnosed really early too - at 2.5 yrs.

The 'official' diagnosis was the best thing that could have happened as we've had so much support and intervention.

Jack goes to a mainstream nursery, with one to one support, and will start at our local mainstream primary school in September. He has a full educational statement in place to secure one to one support there too.

I'm not at the same point as you are now, but we've been there and understand what you'll be going through and what there is to come. Hope I can be of some help.

Sue