Sensitive hearing problem

My ASD daughter gets very disturbed when people are talking downstairs, and she is in her bedroom upstairs. She finds the (random) noise intolerable, even if we try to talk quietly. It becomes a question of upsetting her, versus being silent all the time!

Has anyone any suggestions on what we could do? Noise cancelling headphones have been tried, but I think we got the wrong model.

Thanks for any replies.

• Thanks for the reply.

She is comfortable with background noise. In fact she says that the problem is particularly acute when she's trying to listen to music or concentrate on something else, when the noise breaks through.

With headphones/earplugs, the problem is that she likes to be able to hear if something is going on- she needs to not cut herself off from the world aurally.

She dislikes the “muffled sound” specifically.

• When your daughter is in her room, does she usually prefer things to be very quiet then, or does she have TV/Music on in the background?

When I was a kid, I got so used to the TV being on all the time that I still tend to have it on in the background now, even when I am doing something else. The only difference being I tend to leave it on 'Dave' or 'BBC News 24' nowadays.

If your daughter doesn't like using Music/TV as background noise, then I am not sure what to suggest. In the past when I worked in London, I often used to listen to music on a WalkMan when I was out & about, especially on public transport. Nowadays though, I just always carry those soft rubber earplugs for when background noise is too irritating (babies screaming, loud conversations with people constantly saying "innit" at the end of every sentence, etc).

The main problem I can think of with using earplugs or even noise cancelling headphones at home would be that your daughter might not hear if you knocked on her bedroom door & could then be startled/irritated if you suddenly entered her room unexpectedly.

Of course, if you could get her to develop an interest in 'Drum & Bass Music' then the problem would be the other way around (just kidding).

• A fascinating post- and helpful. I'll pass on the bass thing. The 'can't hear what the words are' could also be very significant. Would there be some mileage in seeing if she is able to accept that state of affairs?

The problem's not really about sleep- it's more when we're talking in the living room in the evening, especially about the TV. 

• I have always had a problem with over-sensitive hearing & regarding conversations in another room, its the bass noise from people's voices that is the problem, since that easily passes through walls when almost everything else is blocked.

Even when you try your hardest to ignore it, part of your brain knows that its speech & wants to make out the words, but without the syballance & higher pitches its just not possible, hence the irritation.

Watching TV or listening to music used to mask the sound of talking for me most of the time, since the closer source of bass sound ranges usually drowned out the sound from other rooms.

Is the main problem when your daughter is trying to sleep though? I've suffered from insomnia most of my life & sometimes this has been caused by my ears constantly straining to hear the slightest noise when it is otherwise quiet.

A few years ago, I came across an article on using 'White Noise' to help insomnia, which doesn't literally mean like 'Radio Static', since anything soothing & repetitive also counts, e.g. Rain, Ocean Waves etc. There are many websites where you can download free or relatively cheap MP3 tracks of repetitive sounds to help with insomnia.

I didn't have an appropriate MP3 Player, so I bought an alarm clock which could play music from a USB Flash Drive. It took a bit of experimentation to find tracks/sounds that worked for me, e.g. My first attempt was Ocean Waves, but after a while I found that quite irritating.

Eventually I downloaded a track called 'Cryostasis Chamber' that worked perfectly for me, being a fairly geeky SciFi mix of restful computer beeps & softly whooshing gas like noises. It sounds odd, but it gave both my brain & my hearing something pleasant to focus on, without being distracting enough to keep me awake.

At least nowadays everyone has flat screen TVs, when I was a kid in the 60s & 70s there were only those giant clunky CRT TVs which constantly gave off a loud very high pitched whistle that no-one else in my family could hear. I could even walk down the street & tell which houses were watching TV because the whistle used to easily pass through glass windows. Everyone used to joke that I should get a job with the TV License people, as I wouldn't even have needed a van.

• Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming!

I think it's the particular type of noise done in conversation, along with the unpredictability that's the problem.

How would I go about getting an occupational therapist? Would the NHS be up for doing it?

• Drath said:

I personally find some clubs very relaxing - depends on the type of music. Love bass heavy music. I find that music that is mid range to high pitch ends up giving me headaches even when not very loud whereas really loud rock music (or even some dubstep) actually sends me to sleep (have been found snoring leant up against a bass speaker in a heavy rock club before).

Downside to this is the crowds though - I can only go to clubs on less busy nights or early on and sometimes leave as it's getting a little too busy for me to cope with (although a few pints does help with this - not advocating drinking as a coping mechanism and I actually don't drink very often).

I can cope with some types of music and noise.  Especially if I have control over what is played.  What I cannot stand is the very loud music and noise in very crowded nightclubs.  Pubs I can cope with up to a point.  I like playing music at home that I like.

But the general city centre clubbing scene to me is a nightmare and mystery.  Why do people go to ultra crowded places with bouncers controlling the crowds?

• I personally find some clubs very relaxing - depends on the type of music. Love bass heavy music. I find that music that is mid range to high pitch ends up giving me headaches even when not very loud whereas really loud rock music (or even some dubstep) actually sends me to sleep (have been found snoring leant up against a bass speaker in a heavy rock club before).

Downside to this is the crowds though - I can only go to clubs on less busy nights or early on and sometimes leave as it's getting a little too busy for me to cope with (although a few pints does help with this - not advocating drinking as a coping mechanism and I actually don't drink very often).

• StephenHarris said:

I find certain noises unpleasant myself. I can't stand nightclubs for example.

I second that.  I've only visited two nightclubs in my entire life.  And I hated it.  I have no idea why people go to these places.

As for general noises, I hate bells, buzzers and I also suffer from slight paranoia.  So if I hear people talking downstairs I suspect it's about me.

• I find certain noises unpleasant myself. I can't stand nightclubs for example.

• Put perhaps some harmonious music on, speak softly through it and have the conversation blend or camoflage in.

Sound-proofing could be another option possibly - by builking-up on soft furnishings or hangings, or get 'proper' stuff installed, maybe. Getting an occupational therapist in could be usefull.

There could also be a psychological element involved - in the sense of hyper-vigilance developing subconsciously for your daughter. Also, having hyper-tension yourselves about or whilst conversing can add extra pitch-tone distortions which your daughter might be finding noticeable.