Sensitive hearing problem

My ASD daughter gets very disturbed when people are talking downstairs, and she is in her bedroom upstairs. She finds the (random) noise intolerable, even if we try to talk quietly. It becomes a question of upsetting her, versus being silent all the time!

Has anyone any suggestions on what we could do? Noise cancelling headphones have been tried, but I think we got the wrong model.

Thanks for any replies.

Parents
  • I have always had a problem with over-sensitive hearing & regarding conversations in another room, its the bass noise from people's voices that is the problem, since that easily passes through walls when almost everything else is blocked.

Even when you try your hardest to ignore it, part of your brain knows that its speech & wants to make out the words, but without the syballance & higher pitches its just not possible, hence the irritation.

Watching TV or listening to music used to mask the sound of talking for me most of the time, since the closer source of bass sound ranges usually drowned out the sound from other rooms.

Is the main problem when your daughter is trying to sleep though? I've suffered from insomnia most of my life & sometimes this has been caused by my ears constantly straining to hear the slightest noise when it is otherwise quiet.

A few years ago, I came across an article on using 'White Noise' to help insomnia, which doesn't literally mean like 'Radio Static', since anything soothing & repetitive also counts, e.g. Rain, Ocean Waves etc. There are many websites where you can download free or relatively cheap MP3 tracks of repetitive sounds to help with insomnia.

I didn't have an appropriate MP3 Player, so I bought an alarm clock which could play music from a USB Flash Drive. It took a bit of experimentation to find tracks/sounds that worked for me, e.g. My first attempt was Ocean Waves, but after a while I found that quite irritating.

Eventually I downloaded a track called 'Cryostasis Chamber' that worked perfectly for me, being a fairly geeky SciFi mix of restful computer beeps & softly whooshing gas like noises. It sounds odd, but it gave both my brain & my hearing something pleasant to focus on, without being distracting enough to keep me awake.

At least nowadays everyone has flat screen TVs, when I was a kid in the 60s & 70s there were only those giant clunky CRT TVs which constantly gave off a loud very high pitched whistle that no-one else in my family could hear. I could even walk down the street & tell which houses were watching TV because the whistle used to easily pass through glass windows. Everyone used to joke that I should get a job with the TV License people, as I wouldn't even have needed a van.

• I have always had a problem with over-sensitive hearing & regarding conversations in another room, its the bass noise from people's voices that is the problem, since that easily passes through walls when almost everything else is blocked.

Even when you try your hardest to ignore it, part of your brain knows that its speech & wants to make out the words, but without the syballance & higher pitches its just not possible, hence the irritation.

Watching TV or listening to music used to mask the sound of talking for me most of the time, since the closer source of bass sound ranges usually drowned out the sound from other rooms.

Is the main problem when your daughter is trying to sleep though? I've suffered from insomnia most of my life & sometimes this has been caused by my ears constantly straining to hear the slightest noise when it is otherwise quiet.

A few years ago, I came across an article on using 'White Noise' to help insomnia, which doesn't literally mean like 'Radio Static', since anything soothing & repetitive also counts, e.g. Rain, Ocean Waves etc. There are many websites where you can download free or relatively cheap MP3 tracks of repetitive sounds to help with insomnia.

I didn't have an appropriate MP3 Player, so I bought an alarm clock which could play music from a USB Flash Drive. It took a bit of experimentation to find tracks/sounds that worked for me, e.g. My first attempt was Ocean Waves, but after a while I found that quite irritating.

Eventually I downloaded a track called 'Cryostasis Chamber' that worked perfectly for me, being a fairly geeky SciFi mix of restful computer beeps & softly whooshing gas like noises. It sounds odd, but it gave both my brain & my hearing something pleasant to focus on, without being distracting enough to keep me awake.

At least nowadays everyone has flat screen TVs, when I was a kid in the 60s & 70s there were only those giant clunky CRT TVs which constantly gave off a loud very high pitched whistle that no-one else in my family could hear. I could even walk down the street & tell which houses were watching TV because the whistle used to easily pass through glass windows. Everyone used to joke that I should get a job with the TV License people, as I wouldn't even have needed a van.

Children
No Data