Sensitive hearing problem

My ASD daughter gets very disturbed when people are talking downstairs, and she is in her bedroom upstairs. She finds the (random) noise intolerable, even if we try to talk quietly. It becomes a question of upsetting her, versus being silent all the time!

Has anyone any suggestions on what we could do? Noise cancelling headphones have been tried, but I think we got the wrong model.

Thanks for any replies.

Parents
  • StephenHarris said:

I find certain noises unpleasant myself. I can't stand nightclubs for example.

I second that.  I've only visited two nightclubs in my entire life.  And I hated it.  I have no idea why people go to these places.

As for general noises, I hate bells, buzzers and I also suffer from slight paranoia.  So if I hear people talking downstairs I suspect it's about me.

• StephenHarris said:

I find certain noises unpleasant myself. I can't stand nightclubs for example.

I second that.  I've only visited two nightclubs in my entire life.  And I hated it.  I have no idea why people go to these places.

As for general noises, I hate bells, buzzers and I also suffer from slight paranoia.  So if I hear people talking downstairs I suspect it's about me.

Children
No Data