Sensory issues with school uniform

My 15 year old daughter has high functioning autism and has always had sensory issues with clothing such as not liking certain fabrics, seams, etc. Recently she has developed a patch on her neck which has become super-sensitive during the last few days preventing her from wearing her school polo shirt. The patch does look a little inflamed, but although various creams seem to have calmed it down visually, she still goes into meltdown when she tries on her polo shirt. Because of this she won't go into school and although she would be allowed to adapt her uniform to reduced the sensitivity, she still refuses to go because she would look different from the other girls and she is extremely self-conscious.

It would be great to hear from anyone else who has had a similar problem or has any ideas on what might help this situation.

• Hi I am autistic and I don't know if it will help but I am sensitive to bras aswell and I have tried this new brand it is called Elle the are so comfortable and soft seemles as well so I don't know if this help but yeah

• I need some advice. My 5 yr. old son has sensory issues also, and when he starts kindergarden in August he will have to wear the school uniform you know plo Shirts and Khaki pants. The pants shouldn't be a problem for him, but I already know that he is going to have some issues with the shirt. He likes to wear the dry fit compression shirts long sleeves all year around! What am I going to do about this? His day is absolutely ruined if he can not wear this type of shirts. He is uncomfortable and distracted and upset about the whole polo shirt ordeal!!!

• Hello misskittykat, I was just browsing the forum for advise on a school uniform issue and came across your post. Our 8 year old daughter has high functioning austism and SPD. Like your daughter clothing has always been a huge issue for her. She has never been able to wear knickers. We have tried everything and have bought most styles, colours, sizes and materials, but she just goes into meltdown mode as soon as they are on saying "it hurts and feels wobbly". I see you have managed to find a particular type of knicker that your daughter will tolerate. I would be greatful for any advise you may have. Thanks 

• Pinklady said:

she still refuses to go because she would look different from the other girls and she is extremely self-conscious.

Females with ASVs often try to imitate their supposed peers in an attempt to make friends and to fit in, often with limited success. Can you work to affirm her self-esteem so she doesn't feel the need to make of herself a clone of those around her? In particular, if you could get her to accept that her autism is a differance not an inferiority, she might be able to be more accepting of her difference, return to school unbothered by looking a little different...able to say "I'm not wearing my jumper because it makes my neck itch..."

• Hello again,

Teatree oil is good for skin irritation I believe. I don't think it can be used neat though. See if you can get some in your local Holland and Barrett or natural remedy shop and ask about it's application. Failing that, Naturopathy maybe able to help with the sensitivity.

I've been using Mohdoh reccommended by someone on this forum for my boys, But it's had more of a calming influence than for direct healing of a condition. I find it's a great alternative distraction if the sensory overload is too much or they are on the edge of meltdown with somthing.

www.mohdoh.co.uk/store-locator.cfm

Regards

Coogybear

• Hi Pinklady

My daughter is super sensitive to clothes to the point of us only having a few items that she will wear.  She won't wear a bra and her knickers have to be a certain type.  School uniform has always been an issue but she's not at school at the moment so some days she gets to stay in her PJ's all day and that is what she's happiest in though even those have been specifically picked - luckily she likes Primark legging style and fruit of the loom t-shirts which are both quite cheap.

Having been going through this since she was 5 (didn't seem to have a problem before that), I hope one day it will get better however for us, it is worse than its ever been.  I can't even find her leggings now that she's happy with and those were a clothing staple up until last year.  Fingers crossed that you find a solution.

• A book called "out of sync child" may help.

• Hi Coogy

Thanks for your ideas. It's not where the label was as that's already gone (Have to remove most labels from her clothes) it's more on the side of her neck. Soft clothing underneath sounds a good idea but she can't cope with the feeling of wearing something underneath and has always refused to wear vest tops or anything else, she'd rather put up with being cold. I've even tried lining the collar of her polo shirt with soft material but that still didn't feel right!

Does anyone know of any alternative therapies that might desensitize the skin?

• Hi Pink Lady,

I'm sure you've thought of this, but is it in the vicinity of the label? Can you cut it out?

Both my sons have sensory issues. One strips as soon as he gets in through the door; which is fine by us, but the other will only wear certain clothing. Has to be soft and is not always weather appropriate either. School uniform is the worst, they don't exactly make it child friendly do they.

My boys wore soft clothing (T-shirts) under their School clothes (Shirt & Tie uniform.)as a barrier. This wasn't ideal for the Summer and wasn't really permitted by the School, however it did calm the irritation.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. I hope it calms down for her. I know how distressing it can be.

Regards

Coogy