GP and research

To the community,

I am new to the area and would like to try something I’ve never considered before and think it is worth pursuing both for community research and for personal experience. I am in search of a GP for myself, but I would like to try seeing one who is also neurodivergent to see if the communication style is more conducive and fosters more understanding than with what I have experienced previously. If anyone knows of someone that is or is one themselves, please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Parents
  • Hi and welcome to the community!

I’m sorry, but I don’t really understand what you’re trying to achieve with your post.

You say you’re new to the area. Do you mean to the field of autism or to a geographical area? If the latter, (roughly, so as to protect your anonymity per the rules) which area? 

Do you want to see a GP in one of your local surgeries? Or a private, virtual GP?

Also keep in mind that asking people to share knowledge of any ND GPs could be problematic. (For example, if that knowledge has been acquired in confidence, and is supposed to be kept private between that person and their GP).

I’d suggest perhaps calling your local GP surgeries and asking them about it directly.

I’m not trying to be critical here. Just sharing my immediate reactions / thoughts in the hope of getting a better idea of what you’re asking for. :)

• Hi and welcome to the community!

I’m sorry, but I don’t really understand what you’re trying to achieve with your post.

You say you’re new to the area. Do you mean to the field of autism or to a geographical area? If the latter, (roughly, so as to protect your anonymity per the rules) which area? 

Do you want to see a GP in one of your local surgeries? Or a private, virtual GP?

Also keep in mind that asking people to share knowledge of any ND GPs could be problematic. (For example, if that knowledge has been acquired in confidence, and is supposed to be kept private between that person and their GP).

I’d suggest perhaps calling your local GP surgeries and asking them about it directly.

I’m not trying to be critical here. Just sharing my immediate reactions / thoughts in the hope of getting a better idea of what you’re asking for. :)

Children
  • I appreciate it and yes geographical area and country would be correct. GP would be NHS, and your immediate reactions are very valid. I’m in England.  Not sure how much more specific I can be on here. The suggestion to ask directly is a fair point. I spoke with a National Autistic Society member today that suggested I outreach on here. But this is a possibility as well.