Struggling in a new relationship - communication problems.

Hi All,

I'm Dyspraxic and have been in a relationship with an Autistic partner for about 4 months and we are having problems with communication.

I'm not the most literal person who always says things straight but I'm struggling with communication on things where I'm suggesting an alternative cause of action eg a change of venue to play pool.

I struggle with picking up verbal clues, non verbal clues and my body language with my dyspaxia. This is causing communication problems with my partner as well.

Does anyone have any advice to give or know off any advice services I would be able to use to discuss this?

Any help would be much appreciated as I don't want these problems to get between us 

Thanks 

• It is hard and it will continue to be. But all the best with your efforts. x

• Thanks Andrew.

I have tried but I'm finding it difficult to put into the right words.

Thanks for the very helpful advice.

• Hello. I hope you are okay.

Honesty with your partner about how you're struggling with verbal and non-verbal communication is something that I would recommend. Does your partner know about your dyspraxia and how it affects you? 

I feel for you though as I can appreciate how it is far from easy to discuss things like this, especially if you don't want to draw attention to it. Sometimes though, being bold and taking that first step to discuss your dyspraxia openly with someone close to you, can reveal to you how important it is to have a good level of honesty in your relationship and how this honesty can strengthen both your relationship and your own sense of self-empowerment. 

It's a tough call but hopefully you can find the right time, the right moment, to have a good chat with them and to feel better as a result.

All the best.

Andrew