Hospital procedure

Slightly frustrated... I have to have a hospital procedure. I mentioned in a preparatory telephone interview with a nurse (?) that I am probably autistic and don't respond well to being touched/handled, which is obviously inevitable in the circumstances. She didn't seem to get it. Initially her repeated response was that everything would be explained at the time, as if this is going to help me. I don't need it explained. I understand the procedure perfectly - and it isn't anxiety about the procedure that's the problem - it's the actual proximity of people and the TOUCHING. I finally seemed to get through to her by telling her that I can react badly to physical contact. She asked whether I might be violent. Fair question. But no... My distress is likely to cause me to tense up and freeze, shut down and become uncommunicative. So, I'll have sedation, but I don't know how much this will help. Meh...

I made it clear that I wasn't telling her because I was asking for help or reassurance. I thought it important that people dealing with me know how I am likely to react and what the cause is. Otherwise they are likely to misinterpret my reaction.

Anyway, maybe I have chipped away just a little at the ignorance surrounding autism. Clearly she was quite unprepared for it.

Parents
  • Just a suggestion: it might be helpful - including for those treating you - to take a “health passport” along to your appointment. It includes a section for specifying your sensory needs, and also could save you from having to keep explaining your needs whilst you're dealing at the same time with the day's many other stresses.

"‘My Health Passport’ is a resource for autistic people who might need hospital treatment.

The passport is designed to help autistic people to communicate their needs to doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals. It was developed by Baroness Angela Browning – an National Autistic Society Vice President – in collaboration with The National Autistic Society."

More information, including the links to download a both a blank passport and the guidance notes for completing and using it:

My health passport

I hope that all goes well with your procedure.

• Just a suggestion: it might be helpful - including for those treating you - to take a “health passport” along to your appointment. It includes a section for specifying your sensory needs, and also could save you from having to keep explaining your needs whilst you're dealing at the same time with the day's many other stresses.

"‘My Health Passport’ is a resource for autistic people who might need hospital treatment.

The passport is designed to help autistic people to communicate their needs to doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals. It was developed by Baroness Angela Browning – an National Autistic Society Vice President – in collaboration with The National Autistic Society."

More information, including the links to download a both a blank passport and the guidance notes for completing and using it:

My health passport

I hope that all goes well with your procedure.

Children