Does anyone struggle with excessive sleeping?

I am really struggling with excessive sleeping, I don't know why. I don't have any medical conditions other than my Autism and low B12.

I wake up at a usual time, around 8am but feel very dazed and fall asleep again until 10:30am and then stay in bed scrolling on my iPhone until around 1pm.

I'm trying really hard to improve my life and change things, but I feel exhausted and need lots of sleep. I used to be able to sleep fine and go to bed at a good time, but recently I have been resisting sleep so I don't fall asleep until around midnight or 1am.

There's a lot to unpack there, I'm feeling a little lost as I can't see many posts relating to excessive sleeping and Autism.

Any advice or personal experiences would be welcome, thanks! 

Parents
  • I sometimes go through periods of what I refer to as hibernation. I want to be in my room, or in bed, and I sleep a lot, and it feels like everything is on go slow. But I know that this only happens when it can, if that makes sense. When I have to be up and out of the house to work, my adrenaline kicks in and I feel awake and alert. It's interesting that you recognise that you're resisting sleep, and I think that this is because you feel you can. I wonder whether this would still be something you did if the negative consequences the next day were greater than your need to resist. This is what keeps me disciplined re my body clock - I can't function at work without enough sleep, and this just makes my day ridiculously hard :-) I agree with some of the other comments in here, in that the change has probably got to come from you. I would definitely try getting up when you first wake, no matter how much your body says you need more sleep. Do something when you are awake. Leave the house. Get fresh air and do something purposeful. Then you"ll eventually be so tired that you'll fall asleep earlier again. And it'll feel good to be taking a bit of control instead of drifting on the tide, I think. Good luck 

• I sometimes go through periods of what I refer to as hibernation. I want to be in my room, or in bed, and I sleep a lot, and it feels like everything is on go slow. But I know that this only happens when it can, if that makes sense. When I have to be up and out of the house to work, my adrenaline kicks in and I feel awake and alert. It's interesting that you recognise that you're resisting sleep, and I think that this is because you feel you can. I wonder whether this would still be something you did if the negative consequences the next day were greater than your need to resist. This is what keeps me disciplined re my body clock - I can't function at work without enough sleep, and this just makes my day ridiculously hard :-) I agree with some of the other comments in here, in that the change has probably got to come from you. I would definitely try getting up when you first wake, no matter how much your body says you need more sleep. Do something when you are awake. Leave the house. Get fresh air and do something purposeful. Then you"ll eventually be so tired that you'll fall asleep earlier again. And it'll feel good to be taking a bit of control instead of drifting on the tide, I think. Good luck 

Children