Getting through burnout

I’ve been really struggling recently and have come to the conclusion that I’m suffering from burnout. My anxiety and depression have peaked, I’m exhausted and irritable, and I’m struggling to do anything. 

Over the past week or so, I’ve found that doing anything - even things that usually allow me to recharge such as watching TV, reading, drawing, writing, etc - is tiring. I’ve been getting headaches all the time, I’m shaky and weak, and my appetite is all over the place. I’ve also been struggling more with sensory stuff such as the texture of clothes, noise, etc etc. Everything’s heightened.

How does everyone else cope with burnout? Even just little steps. I know that people say to reduce demands and increase support but what does that mean for my everyday life? Should I just make time to do nothing but lie in bed and maybe nap? Is there anything I can try to not feel so exhausted and hopeless all the time?

Parents
  • I know that people say to reduce demands and increase support but what does that mean for my everyday life?

It helps to create a list of the things that cause demand and stress on you - write these on the left side of a sheet of paper and on the right, write down the things that can avoid, reduce or defer these.

You can then work out which are practical, prioritise them and do them.

After the initial hit of the effort to do these then allow yourself a day or two off to relax and recharge without any significant demands.

Turn off your phone, put your computer on silent (to avoid emails, messages etc) and go offline - maybe go out for a walk or whatever helps you wind down.

If you have problems sleeping then consider a sedative for one night to let you rest deeply. Antihystamine is a good choice for this.

That would be my approach.

• I know that people say to reduce demands and increase support but what does that mean for my everyday life?

It helps to create a list of the things that cause demand and stress on you - write these on the left side of a sheet of paper and on the right, write down the things that can avoid, reduce or defer these.

You can then work out which are practical, prioritise them and do them.

After the initial hit of the effort to do these then allow yourself a day or two off to relax and recharge without any significant demands.

Turn off your phone, put your computer on silent (to avoid emails, messages etc) and go offline - maybe go out for a walk or whatever helps you wind down.

If you have problems sleeping then consider a sedative for one night to let you rest deeply. Antihystamine is a good choice for this.

That would be my approach.

Children
No Data