Diversity of reaction to burnout and overstimulation?

How do people experience these differently?

personally, a ‘meltdown’ (don’t like this term) for me takes the form of an intense headache (which can then last for 3 days despite painkillers) & need to be alone( not always possible),  whereas for my niece, she needs to scream when she’s overwhelmed. I just wondered if others also had differing experiences?p

• Mine is stimming not able to think of anything else other than the issue that has upset me sleep struggling anxiety.It is a nightmare and the worst thing is it is generally caused by a non neuro diverse individual with no compassion

• I'm similar to you, Fiona. I don't think I've ever had a meltdown, but can shutdown and also think I have been in some kind of long-term burnout for a few years now (which led to getting diagnosed) I also toyed with the idea of it being depression but that doesn't sit right.

• I'm not far enough along my post-diagnosis exploration to know what I would identify as a 'meltdown'. I don't know that I've ever had one, not that I can remember anyway.

I have had a few cases over my life of complete shutdown - where I feel like my brain has stopped because it is overwhelmed, and I can't interact with the environment around me. I can't respond to anything or anyone because of the inner turmoil and whatever my brain is trying to process. This has been the result of things like sensory overload and being given cancer diagnosis.

Burnout, I suspect I have been in this for the past 2 years, and it seems to involve emotional over-reaction, a general feeling of not quite being engaged in everything, not having the energy to cope with things I used to cope with, not being able to mask for such long periods, being easily irritated, more sensitive to sensory inputs. Maybe it's depression, but my mood isn't particularly low, so I don't want to go to GP.

• Thanks everyone for your reflections on your own experience & for the advice & readings. Much appreciated

• Yeh I have the same experience as you to be honest. I get a throbbing headache when I am overwhelmed by light and sounds etc. Paracetamol usually helps with it. Sleep helps. Lying in a dark room helps (not always possible). But yeh I don’t know it’s annoying at times. It’s not like we can switch it off either it doesn’t go away. I am fine when I am alone lol. Maybe I ought to go and live in a cave somewhere haha

• Where is the headache located? That will tell you something. 

I used to get stress-induced-anxiety headaches quite frequently until I made a massive lifestyle change. Now I get them rarely and take a half dose of anti-anxiety medication. They leave immediately and I make a note of what brought on the stress so to navigate it differently next time.

• There is quite a nice article discussing the differences between meltdown, burnout and shutdown:

https://autismusvirago.home.blog/2019/04/06/meltdown-burnout-and-shutdown-whats-the-difference/

If you are able to function during this phase - even if it is to go to the medicine cabinet to get painkillers - then you are not likely to be in meltdown, rather the worse parts of burnout.

It helps to be consistent and accurate with the terminology if you need to discuss with medical professionals which is why I raise the point - plus it helps if you are looking for help with the condition.

• I do something kinda in the middle - I will often cry or scream silently, rock backwards and forwards, lie on the floor and I'll always need to be alone. I wonder if age or life experience influences how meltdowns look for different people? I was punished as a child for screaming or being loud when I was upset which I think this led me to try and hide my meltdowns more, even if that just means being away from other people while I have them, and thus I learnt to cope with them by myself - other people may need more support from the people close to them when they're having meltdowns.