Posture

Having had bad posture all my life (hunched shoulders/rounded back) finding out it could be as a result of autism hypermobility/low tone felt groundbreaking, like it might not just be a personal failing. However, I would like to ‘stand up straighter’ as it would help multiple areas of my life. 
Has anyone found anything that helps? I do pilates most weeks and try to stand up straighter when I remember but struggle with body awareness and sensory things that lead me to hunch over (e.g. wearing bras).

thank you!

Parents
  • I so feel for you I am the same .by the way I hate pilates so well done for going as i know it is good for bad backs.The weird thing with my back is when my Autism OCD and Anxiety is at it's worst my back is not too bad.It seems to go when i am mentally ok very odd I find this.

I also am hoping for the perfect Oesteo when my back first went 15 years ago i had a miracle fix but it has never happened since.

• The pilates I do is on zoom and doesn’t require a full weekly commitment, which I find really helps take the pressure off and the improvement I feel in my body is its own reward (it also really helps my anxiety because of the focus on breathing). When my knees were bad I went to a kinesiologist, two sessions later and I experience very minimal pain from them now- the kinesiologist managed to fix what 5+ drs, osteopaths & physios weren’t able to. I was very skeptical but it might be worth a try.

• The pilates I do is on zoom and doesn’t require a full weekly commitment, which I find really helps take the pressure off and the improvement I feel in my body is its own reward (it also really helps my anxiety because of the focus on breathing). When my knees were bad I went to a kinesiologist, two sessions later and I experience very minimal pain from them now- the kinesiologist managed to fix what 5+ drs, osteopaths & physios weren’t able to. I was very skeptical but it might be worth a try.

Children