Posture

Having had bad posture all my life (hunched shoulders/rounded back) finding out it could be as a result of autism hypermobility/low tone felt groundbreaking, like it might not just be a personal failing. However, I would like to ‘stand up straighter’ as it would help multiple areas of my life. 
Has anyone found anything that helps? I do pilates most weeks and try to stand up straighter when I remember but struggle with body awareness and sensory things that lead me to hunch over (e.g. wearing bras).

thank you!

Parents
  • Yoga will help and martial arts too, martial arts may give you the confidence to stand tall and move properly, poor posture is often a confidence thing, people hunch up because they're trying not to be noticed.

There's a technique called The Alexander Method that' helps people with their posture, I've not done it myself, but I've known people who have and said it really helped them. I just googled it and the first page that came up was one from the NHS, so finding some reliable information shouldn't be too difficult.

If your bra is making you hunch up then I'd really advise going to be properly fitted, it's a little embarassing, but the fitters are usually very nice and non-judgemental and help you find the right size and style. The right size correctly fitting bra makes such a difference to your posture and general levels of comfort. If you have larger breasts then having them not supported properly can lead to spinal problems later. M&S do them in store and online via a video call, there are lots of sites online that tell you how to measure yourself properly, but what they won't do is advice you on the shape of bra you need. Also like with shoes, one shops size may be different to anothers.

• Yoga will help and martial arts too, martial arts may give you the confidence to stand tall and move properly, poor posture is often a confidence thing, people hunch up because they're trying not to be noticed.

There's a technique called The Alexander Method that' helps people with their posture, I've not done it myself, but I've known people who have and said it really helped them. I just googled it and the first page that came up was one from the NHS, so finding some reliable information shouldn't be too difficult.

If your bra is making you hunch up then I'd really advise going to be properly fitted, it's a little embarassing, but the fitters are usually very nice and non-judgemental and help you find the right size and style. The right size correctly fitting bra makes such a difference to your posture and general levels of comfort. If you have larger breasts then having them not supported properly can lead to spinal problems later. M&S do them in store and online via a video call, there are lots of sites online that tell you how to measure yourself properly, but what they won't do is advice you on the shape of bra you need. Also like with shoes, one shops size may be different to anothers.

Children
  • I was actually thinking of trying to get back into taekwondo, I’m just really struggling to find the time and energy with everything else I do. Past experience of yoga suggests I overdo it/contort myself too much so I find pilates a safer option! I’ll look into the Alexander technique but I’m not sure I’d qualify (no regular pain currently).  I’m not sure if getting a bra fitted would really make a difference, it’s more the constant contact around my torso/shoulders that I struggle to cope with.