Posture

Having had bad posture all my life (hunched shoulders/rounded back) finding out it could be as a result of autism hypermobility/low tone felt groundbreaking, like it might not just be a personal failing. However, I would like to ‘stand up straighter’ as it would help multiple areas of my life. 
Has anyone found anything that helps? I do pilates most weeks and try to stand up straighter when I remember but struggle with body awareness and sensory things that lead me to hunch over (e.g. wearing bras).

thank you!

Parents
  • Hi CM. I find gentle exercise with weights in the gym has helped my posture and my backache that accompanied that. I don’t know what the pieces of kit are called, but they’re basic so should be in most gyms and I do the ones which have pictures of highlighted muscles in the back on their diagrams that show what the machine is for. Has helped me a lot over the last year.

• Hi CM. I find gentle exercise with weights in the gym has helped my posture and my backache that accompanied that. I don’t know what the pieces of kit are called, but they’re basic so should be in most gyms and I do the ones which have pictures of highlighted muscles in the back on their diagrams that show what the machine is for. Has helped me a lot over the last year.

Children
  • Would it be possible for you to let me know which muscles the machine is designed for next time you go/take a photograph? I try to do some exercises that are useful for archery but it doesn’t seem to have helped my everyday posture.