Long term stomach problems - solutions?

Hello everyone,

My 15 year old autistic son has had stomach problems for about a year including upset tummy and stomach pains.

He has had extensive tests by an experienced paediatric gastroenterologist who has previously seen other autistic patients and who is simpathetic and knowledgeable. The tests have not identified any physical illness or problem. They have said that in their experience, the next step is to try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to help provide advce and tools for dealing with the issue which they think may be a result of anxiety and / or stress.

We are happy to try this, but has anyone had a similar experience and can anyone suggest any other therapies or approaches that may help with these ongoing issues?

Thank you.

Parents
  • Maybe he could try chamomile tea for stress and fennel tea for nausea and cramps. Both are available in supermarkets, fennel dosen't taste of anything much at all, just slightly aniseedy, I leave the bag in the cup of hot water until it's just above tepid and then sip it. This is a good rememdy for any sort of sickness, from morning sickness, to medication related nausea or just having a chumbly belly, it's also good for period pains and cramps as it's an anti-spasmodic as well as an anti-nausea thing. For the chamomile I'd leave the bag in the cup of hot water for 3 or 4 mins and then drink it when it's of an acceptable temperature, it tastes a bit weird and flowery, but not like something from the bottom of a pond like so many other herbal teas do. Chamomile is a calming herb, very slightly sedative, so it's good before bed and not first thing in the morning, unless you wake up stressed.

• Maybe he could try chamomile tea for stress and fennel tea for nausea and cramps. Both are available in supermarkets, fennel dosen't taste of anything much at all, just slightly aniseedy, I leave the bag in the cup of hot water until it's just above tepid and then sip it. This is a good rememdy for any sort of sickness, from morning sickness, to medication related nausea or just having a chumbly belly, it's also good for period pains and cramps as it's an anti-spasmodic as well as an anti-nausea thing. For the chamomile I'd leave the bag in the cup of hot water for 3 or 4 mins and then drink it when it's of an acceptable temperature, it tastes a bit weird and flowery, but not like something from the bottom of a pond like so many other herbal teas do. Chamomile is a calming herb, very slightly sedative, so it's good before bed and not first thing in the morning, unless you wake up stressed.

Children