AAC use in the community

Hello,

I am new to the NAS forum/community and I work with a number of young people who use iPads as their voice . 

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with having to explain to a disability centre that using an AAC device is not the same as 'having screentime'? I am trying to help a centre understand that their no tablet policy means the young person has no access to express themselves when on site. 

Thank you

AK

Parents
  • I am trying to help a centre understand that their no tablet policy means the young person has no access to express themselves when on site.

Telling them it is analogous to a guide dog for a blind person may make it easier for them to understand.

Does the issue stem from there being a risk of information being recorded in some way? If not then there seems no justifiable reason for the refusal, and to deny disabled people thier "support device" to enable them to communicate would be a case of disability discrimination.

This should make them take it more seriously.

• I am trying to help a centre understand that their no tablet policy means the young person has no access to express themselves when on site.

Telling them it is analogous to a guide dog for a blind person may make it easier for them to understand.

Does the issue stem from there being a risk of information being recorded in some way? If not then there seems no justifiable reason for the refusal, and to deny disabled people thier "support device" to enable them to communicate would be a case of disability discrimination.

This should make them take it more seriously.

Children
No Data