Am I misunderstanding stimming?

Hi,

I wanted to ask about stimming. People talk about stimming being a good thing and something you can do to help regulate yourself. I stim when I'm stressed but it doesn't make me feel better, its just sort of a compulsion.

Is that what it's like for other autistic people?

Because I've been feeling really jealous that other autistic people talk about stimming as if it is this magical outlet that makes them feel amazing, but I started to wonder that maybe I misunderstood how stimming benefits people. Maybe it's not like how I imagine. 

Parents
  • Not every autistic person stims. And that’s fine. For me it feels calming, it helps me get rid of too much energy, I feel calm when I rock or fidget my fingers or pick my lips I have few other things I do. I often do it without realizing it. I do it when I’m stressed or excited or deeply concentrated or just like that without reason. Whenever I need - I just unapologetically do it. There is only one stim that I do only when I’m alone - pacing the room. Whoever had a chance to catch me doing it asks me the standard question “what’s wrong with you?”

• Not every autistic person stims. And that’s fine. For me it feels calming, it helps me get rid of too much energy, I feel calm when I rock or fidget my fingers or pick my lips I have few other things I do. I often do it without realizing it. I do it when I’m stressed or excited or deeply concentrated or just like that without reason. Whenever I need - I just unapologetically do it. There is only one stim that I do only when I’m alone - pacing the room. Whoever had a chance to catch me doing it asks me the standard question “what’s wrong with you?”

Children
No Data