Household Jobs/Tasks

Hi. 

First time poster here so please be kind. 

My wife and I have hit an issue. In short she does most of the household tasks. I do what I am given to do meticulously however she is quite right in suggesting that if jobs are not part of my routine I simply don’t see and therefore don’t do them. 

Convenient eh ?! 

I can assure you I am not lazy but agree with my wife in that she ends up taking too much on leaving her feeling overwhelmed. 

I am convinced that my ASD plays a part in not doing things if they are not an ingrained habit.

Has anyone else hit similar obstacles and I am interested in practical ways that have proved successful solutions for you guys. 

Many thanks 

S

Parents
  • Im very similar too. I often say "tell me if there's something that needs doing and I'll do it" and she does fin dit odd that I don't see that there's always something that does need doing and it's always the same things, which I won't have noticed or thought of. 

I assume it's a mix of PDA and a mono tropic focus on other things meaning I don't notice anything else that needs doing. 

I tend to do all the cooking and always joked it was my share of the housework. I have started to do more washing and ironing while working from home etc though recently.(When I remember to!!)

• Im very similar too. I often say "tell me if there's something that needs doing and I'll do it" and she does fin dit odd that I don't see that there's always something that does need doing and it's always the same things, which I won't have noticed or thought of. 

I assume it's a mix of PDA and a mono tropic focus on other things meaning I don't notice anything else that needs doing. 

I tend to do all the cooking and always joked it was my share of the housework. I have started to do more washing and ironing while working from home etc though recently.(When I remember to!!)

Children
No Data