How do you handle teachers who do not care about parents information or implementation of health care advice to help children with autism?

Hi,  as a parent to a 7 year old with autism I try to communicate with the teacher about things that are important to make olivers life work easier, ie to prepare him for changes in advance, to keep instructions short etc. Things that we have been thought by professionals. The problem is that even though we give this information and we have a school  journal where we write down when and what will happen during the week, none of the teachers care. It feels like I am trying all that I possibly can to help Oliver and also make everything work for our family, but school just keep sabotaging by not caring. I don't know what to do now. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do. This is draining my energy and also breaking my heart. Best regards Susanne 

Parents
  • I've noticed over time that teachers seem to have a different mentality to the rest of us and only respond to others like them. Maybe you could role play with your partner or a friend with you being the teacher and the other person being the parent or you. That way you could get into the headspace of the teacher and then when you go into school and speak to them about Olivers needs, you will be using the same verbal and body language as them. I think teachers unconciously rely on everyones memories of being a naughty child or one who's confused, to invalidate and downgrade what we're saying, because we've all been in this position at some point, we unconciously adopt the body language of a dismpowered child, we need to stay with our adult empowered selves. This is why I think role play and inhabiting the teacher headspace including body language could help, think about body posture, when the teachers say things to you, how do you feel it in your body? What does it make you feel? If you mirror the teachers body language how does that make you feel? Then there's use of verbal language, theres a heirarchy of words and these can be used in power relationships, try and match your language to theirs. I know it's crazy and makes little sense, but it works.

• I've noticed over time that teachers seem to have a different mentality to the rest of us and only respond to others like them. Maybe you could role play with your partner or a friend with you being the teacher and the other person being the parent or you. That way you could get into the headspace of the teacher and then when you go into school and speak to them about Olivers needs, you will be using the same verbal and body language as them. I think teachers unconciously rely on everyones memories of being a naughty child or one who's confused, to invalidate and downgrade what we're saying, because we've all been in this position at some point, we unconciously adopt the body language of a dismpowered child, we need to stay with our adult empowered selves. This is why I think role play and inhabiting the teacher headspace including body language could help, think about body posture, when the teachers say things to you, how do you feel it in your body? What does it make you feel? If you mirror the teachers body language how does that make you feel? Then there's use of verbal language, theres a heirarchy of words and these can be used in power relationships, try and match your language to theirs. I know it's crazy and makes little sense, but it works.

Children
No Data