Work

Hi, I’m really struggling with sensory overload at work, it makes me rundown and I’m frequently catching any virus that’s going and my executive functioning also gets severely affected as well as my ability to string a sentence together,  I’m a carer and a mother with no support- I love this part of my life that’s not an issue, my issue is work, I cannot afford to not work, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you

Parents
  • Is it possible to ask for your employer to offer hybrid working? Or working from home?

• Thanks, I work direct with people so not an option but thanks for responding

• Oh ok sorry I didn’t realise. What about asking for regular breaks in a quiet space instead? Is your employer aware that you are autistic?

• You’re absolutely right, I do always ask this as it causes me such effort when told things verbally but sick of asking now as it’s constant and no one listens, feel So debilitated, I’m off sick now, have major burn out to point I feel like I never want to verbally communicate again, thank you for your response 

You are so welcome! I am so sorry that you are experiencing autistic burnout right now, do you want support or signposting to help you manage burnout?

• You’re absolutely right, I do always ask this as it causes me such effort when told things verbally but sick of asking now as it’s constant and no one listens, feel So debilitated, I’m off sick now, have major burn out to point I feel like I never want to verbally communicate again, thank you for your response 

• Yes my employer is aware I’m autistic, I had a occupational health assessment, I work in a big school and I massively struggle with sensory overload doing it, I’m in class, I’m meant to have 2 breaks a day which I do but people are always asking me to do things that mainly involve conversation so i never get any peace,

Could you ask the people who try to have conversations with you, to put the content of the conversation in an email instead? Or ask them if it is urgent, and if it isn't ask for coversation to happen later?

If you can do this, it could reduce processing load. You can't support others if you don't look after yourself!

• Yes my employer is aware I’m autistic, I had a occupational health assessment, I work in a big school and I massively struggle with sensory overload doing it, I’m in class, I’m meant to have 2 breaks a day which I do but people are always asking me to do things that mainly involve conversation so i never get any peace, I mask at work heavily and when I don’t people act like im rude and say im too quiet and that isolated me socially as they stop inviting me to things so im basically masking all day, I’d love to be a cleaner just working alone all day free to chew gum (one of my stims that is frowned upon in school) and not he forced to talk or have info overload but financially I couldn’t do it and also I have care responsibilities when school Holidays and have to attend a lot of hospital appointments as a carer, im intelligent but I have no qualifications for any other job, I couldn’t afford not to work as benefits don’t even cover basic needs

• Yes my employer is aware I’m autistic, I had a occupational health assessment, I work in a big school and I massively struggle with sensory overload doing it, I’m in class, I’m meant to have 2 breaks a day which I do but people are always asking me to do things that mainly involve conversation so i never get any peace, I mask at work heavily and when I don’t people act like im rude and say im too quiet and that isolated me socially as they stop inviting me to things so im basically masking all day, I’d love to be a cleaner just working alone all day free to chew gum (one of my stims that is frowned upon in school) and not he forced to talk or have info overload but financially I couldn’t do it and also I have care responsibilities when school Holidays and have to attend a lot of hospital appointments as a carer, im intelligent but I have no qualifications for any other job, I couldn’t afford not to work as benefits don’t even cover basic needs

Children

You are so welcome! I am so sorry that you are experiencing autistic burnout right now, do you want support or signposting to help you manage burnout?

• Yes my employer is aware I’m autistic, I had a occupational health assessment, I work in a big school and I massively struggle with sensory overload doing it, I’m in class, I’m meant to have 2 breaks a day which I do but people are always asking me to do things that mainly involve conversation so i never get any peace,

Could you ask the people who try to have conversations with you, to put the content of the conversation in an email instead? Or ask them if it is urgent, and if it isn't ask for coversation to happen later?

If you can do this, it could reduce processing load. You can't support others if you don't look after yourself!