Sensory overload re Haemorrhoids ruining life

This is my first post here, so here goes.  My 29 yr old Aspie son has been plagued by haemorrhoids for years, culminating in surgery 2020, which after the immence effort it took to have it, the procedure failed.  He is constantly in pain and in fear of the swelling.  Wont take any pain relief for fear of dulling the pain and the haemorrhoid getting bigger.

We have seen consultants and even had a private consulation this week which we were told surgery would be the answer but it would be extremely painful,  for 6 weeks with an open wound and no guarantee of a pain free life after.  The doctor even said that for someone like my son who is so sensory overloaded, he wouldnt be able to cope with the pain and would feel suicidal.

so now we are left facing a life being unable to walk, do anything he wants to do, stuck at home.   He has just been given medicinal cannabis which helps

He says there is no point anymore

I really dont know how to help him.  Has anyone else been in a similar situation

•  In an era of email, text messages, Facebook and Twitter, we're all still trying to keep up with our lives, our children and parents

• Keeping hydrated is of great importance, not easy because autistics often don't notice internal signals, such as thirst. This should help keep the stool from getting too hard, with obvious consequences. Taking probiotic capsules containing beneficial bacteria - such as BioKult - has helped me, as it ensures that your gut biome remains healthy, but they are rather expensive. This is especially useful if there is a tendency to irregular bowel habits, such as IBS causes. Finally, I occasionally give everything a rest by a liquid only diet. I will drink clear liquids - sugary, like Lucozade - and eat only clear soup (consomme) for a few days, from 2 up to 6 days. This results in no solid material in the gut, resting everything. It does take a lot of willpower, however. I take multivitamins with minerals while starving.

• It’s just me but I’d take the surgery. If the pain becomes unbearable they can always give him morphine. You can always find a therapeutic dose (so I’m told). Although that dose may end up knocking him out so he spends most days asleep.

• I've had a fair share of medical issues throughout the years, so happy to share what I've found which seems to work for me.

If you haven't tried yet, it can't hurt to try a whole week resetting your body's hydrating 'eco system' (for lack of a better phrase). Many sites will suggest that proper hydration is crucial. I've spent years trying to work out what the body needs to maintain proper acid-alkaline balance for pH. It's not just about drinking water. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3161391/

Mineral rich water is incredibly important, as is lowering sugar intake (but not substituting with chemically manufactured sweeteners, either). If you're interested, here's what I do to rehydrate for 1-2 weeks: Still Mineral Water, Bath salts, magnesium spray, cranberry juice, honey and lemons. 

Buy 2 Weeks worth of Natural Still Spring water and try to consume 750ml - 1L / day

Use tap water for cooking & hot drinks. Limit caffeine drinks. I'll still have a coffee and a few cups of black tea, though.

Add honey to tea or coffee instead of sugar (if needed). Natural alternatives like date sugar, honey and maple syrup will be processed in the body differently. Yes, they're still sugars (everything turns to sugar except meat), but they're Simple and not Complex. I notice a difference.

Buy plain 100% cranberry juice (no added sweetener or sugar) and drink 2 shots per day: biona.co.uk/.../ It's incredibly bitter, but I swear by it and one gets used to it after a while. Also, juice 1 lemon a day. This is amazing for hydration.

Mineral Salt baths and a magnesium spray are also good for this week. 

From what I've read, one can be dehydrated in their blood. These elements are what I've found to be a good source of rehydrating the body. Don't forget the crisps! We do need salt to stay hydrated, but too much can be problematic.

HOWEVER - this is not medical advice. There are numerous complexities which can be causing dehydration, issues with kidneys or little components which assist the kidneys or even something completely different.  Again, things I've read but I'm not a doctor. This week of hydration can't hurt to try as it's all a basic way of staying healthy. But if nothing changes, I would request to have other possibilities looked into. 

• Hi, sorry to read this.  I can relate to your son's pain and frustration. I started with haemorrhoids in 2018 and, despite surgery in 2020 to remove them (three of them allegedly—which they said was successful surgery, despite this, more returned. Every bowel movement I have is painful to some degree. The only comfort I have found is to use Germaloid cream after going to the toilet. No other treatment has worked. The Germaloid cream works within minutes of application.

As a safety net for really bad times, I also use small ice packs (kept in the freezer). They take some getting used to though initially.  You put the ice packs in your underwear and get them as close to the haemorrhoids as possible. It's uncomfortable to begin with, but after 5 or so minutes your skin adjusts to the cold and within ten minutes the haemorrhoids have receded back into the body.

You have to keep the anus hyper clean, however.  And never use toilet paper or any other abrasive material. I use sanitary wipes exclusively. And together with Germaloid cream (and occasional ice packs) I have it under control. 
    I can't stress the importance of keeping the anus clean. I have some antibacterial bed-bath wipes that I use throughout the day so that my anal hygiene is impeccable, because any amount of sweat or other debris irritates the haemorrhoids.

It's not a subject that's discussed much, but it should be. The impact on one's overall health is dramatic. If you think about it, haemorrhoids are actually exposed veins. They affect your entire physical and mental health.  
    I have another appointment next week for yet another examination and a discussion about more surgery. It did take some belligerence on my part to get the NHS to take it seriously. 

Good luck to him (and you). If he needs someone to talk to, then drop me a private message and we can arrange something.