Insomnia

Hello All, 

Since my ASD diagnosis earlier this month, I have been having more and more nights with insomnia. I’m even writing this message close to 4am!

Can anyone give me advice on how I can get a goodnight’s sleep or share what has helped you with your insomnia? 

Thanks in advance

Ruth 

Parents
  • Are you thinking about things or worrying when going to bed, and waking up?  Try and ignore thoughts when you are going to sleep, and when you wake up.  If you listen to them and engage then sleep is difficult.  If you can't sleep even with a quiet mind, then do something calm for half and hour or an hour, like reading or listen to music, then try sleeping.  

Are you getting thoughts or flashbacks about the past?   The diagnosis might have triggered good/bad things you have forgotten about, or meant your brain is churning over adjusting things that happened to take into account your autism.  I've had countless memories emerge that I now have an awareness and understanding of that I didn't at the time.  Autism enlightenment I guess.

• Are you thinking about things or worrying when going to bed, and waking up?  Try and ignore thoughts when you are going to sleep, and when you wake up.  If you listen to them and engage then sleep is difficult.  If you can't sleep even with a quiet mind, then do something calm for half and hour or an hour, like reading or listen to music, then try sleeping.  

Are you getting thoughts or flashbacks about the past?   The diagnosis might have triggered good/bad things you have forgotten about, or meant your brain is churning over adjusting things that happened to take into account your autism.  I've had countless memories emerge that I now have an awareness and understanding of that I didn't at the time.  Autism enlightenment I guess.

Children
No Data