Starting and Developing Routines

I was hoping that maybe some fellow autistic people could be able to give insight on how they develop and start up routines, and how routines effect them. 

It's been very difficult to form routines that work for me, things that once worked for me, like lists and schedules, are not as effective anymore. And I find I am more easily set off my plans, often due to lack of motivation.

My more specific questions (all optional of course):

If there is certain questions your ask yourself before developing certain routines

How to account for meltdowns and episodes in schedule, or even other possible detours such as plan changes or demotivation

Certain types of scheduling or planning you use, such as lists, paper schedules, planners, hourly, monthly, calendars, daily, apps, when you form these plans. And if there is a specific form that works for you thats purchasable, what the name is and how its helpful.

Also, what kind of things are part of your schedule? Certain foods, planning out clothes, or anything more obscure that assist.

Routines help give me a sense of comfort, and I do believe that my lack of routine has been causing increased anxiety (to put it lightly) for me for the past few months.

If anyone gives their insight, thank you so much. I appreciate it.

• I use a journal writing each days to do list the night before then mark myself on what i did and did not that is the only thing that works for me. I add a star on something if it's something that is doing rarely eg getting a hair cut or doing taxes.

• When I wake up I would usually exercise, eat, and then I write down a list. I envision step-by-step how to execute each task on that list, and approximate how much time it would take, and when to start the task.

But I don't enjoy meticulously scheduling each individual task by the minute. That would drive me crazy. I can only handle one thing scheduled for one day, like going to work, going to an appointment, or going to a get together, but not everything on the same day. Rushing around to be at different locations is too stressful and not enjoyable to me. 

But knowing that I can have meltdowns and upset days, means that I take it one day at a time, and I don't usually set a specific day in the future to do things, unless I need to (like for groceries and food). Other than that, when I'm struggling I learned to take it easy on myself for that day, and not force myself and overdo things. 

• I don't know that I have a routine but I do have disciplines... and core principles and purpose daily life around them. 

One's health cannot be replaced. This is a core part of my motivation and my aesthetics and also ethics tend to be structured with this in mind.

Many things are discovered rewards. For instance, I like coffee and I enjoy the process of making it, therefore it appears like a morning ritual. I enjoy going for a walk and also, stepping away from my desk has proven to be beneficial (I've worked from home for years), so I tend to go for a walk every day early evening. I also seem to fall asleep easier if I do a bit of yoga at night, sometimes I don't really want to but I'm the sort who will engage in a good practice regardless of my sometimes random or lazy 'feelings'. I never regret the engagement. And I've also spent time designing a set 'wardrobe' so that almost everything works together. This one can take years, though I do try to envision what I'll appear like the following day while sleeping. It's harder for me NOT to follow though or to let a thing go, so then I'm quickly dressed when I wake up! It took me years to learn this one haha. This particular one is an example of working with my 'default mode'. 

Intentional routines or disciplines are built over years. If we're not intentional, unintentional habits can form and the self becomes a better self when Reasoned With. Do you have spiritual practices? Do you have a vision of an Ideal Self? What does that Self Value? Once you can begin to imagine an ideal self in an ideal environment, it becomes easier to slot routines / rituals into place. They need to benefit you. 

As for life's chaos: Some of it I can talk myself through and be reasonable with. It's important to remember most things can wait. If I'm ill, if I'm overwhelmed, if I can't think straight, I can afford myself or others time & space to re-charge. A fully functional human is a million times more efficient than one in desperate need of a Great Fairy to recharge all their life-force (Zelda). Very few things are so pressing and important that the end of the world is at hand. 

• dunno, every day of my life is just naturally the same anyway more or less.

• I use a bullet journal to help me remember stuff. I keep it to hand at all times! All my work clothes are similar colour makes washing easier. I probably should develop better routines,  it'd help take the pressure off.