Trouble with face masks

On Monday face masks became mandatory on public transport and in small spaces. I have tried wearing a face mask but really struggle with it. Partly it is the feel of my own breath on my face and the dampness of it, as well as the scratchy material behind the ears. But I can barely wear a face covering for twenty seconds before I have to take it off. Strangely it's the fact that my nose and mouth are covered and I have to breathe through those, but having the mask there makes me think that I can't breathe (sorry if that sentence makes no sense).

I know certain people are exempt from face coverings, including those with a "physical or mental illness or impairment". But I'm only mildly autistic and nobody would even guess that I'm autistic unless I told them, so I fear that if I didn't wear a face mask I would get penalised for it. Also I hate thinking of autism as a mental illness.

Anyone else struggling with face masks, or have any tips for coping with them? I have to take a train to the hospital next Friday and I'm truly dreading the journey.

• The pandemic has put many people in such a difficult position and it is very unpleasant. I came to the conclusion that it is easier for me to wear a mask than to explain to people why I am not obliged to wear a medical mask. It is important to choose the most comfortable  mask made of thin fabric. I ordered my masks at https://medbasic.co.uk/. They are extremely convenient and comfortable for me.   And yes, I agree that the demands of the authorities during the pandemic significantly restricted my rights and such treatment of people is unacceptable in my opinion.

• I have the same issue. Don't like the way it feels against my face, and feel like I can't breathe (even though I know that's nonsense, it happens anyway). I had panic attacks trying to wear one and had to run out of the supermarket. Also had a very unpleasant experience with a big security guard grabbing me and forcing a mask onto my face. I still remember the smell of his hand as he forcefully did it.

After that incident I ordered a sunflower lanyard from hidden disabilities and wore that and nobody questioned me not wearing a mask after that. But now masks are not required and I don't even wear the lanyard.

• I find wearing a mask uncomfortable and it triggers my anxiety so I have to keep lowering it so I can breathe. Staff in shops don't mind that but if I leave it lowered or take it off they tell me to put it back on.

I try to avoid shops though and only wear a mask when I really have to.

• I have a lot of respiratory allergic reactions, and I also had a challenging time when I had to wear a medical mask constantly. The only way out of the situation was medical masks with removable filters from the site https://dynaprohealth.com. I changed the filters as often as possible. Besides, the fabric part of the mask did not touch my face, and the moisture from my breath did not settle on the skin of my face. Therefore, I highly recommend trying this type of mask because they are still mandatory.

• I was in the military a while ago and we had to do nbc training,

Having to put the s10 respirator on was a challenge ,

To get used to it i started to wear iit in my own time for a minute or so  , Then gradually increased till i could have it on for longer and longer ,

I still had the panic when putting it on but the routine i had built up help calm the rising anxiety and eventually i could where it as it was a second skin which we had to do because of the chemical threats we were exposed to for hours at a time .

• If you can't wear a mask, that's fine. You're exempt because it's too difficult for you. 

I can't always wear a mask either - but I still need to go out & do things. 

Masks prevent maybe 50% (huge variation) of droplets from accumulating in the air & on surfaces. Having a few unmasked shoppers out of, say, 100 in a supermarket, is like having just one or two extra people in there. 

• Masks do help to reduce transmission, since the virus spreads primarily through respiratory droplets, and indirectly through surfaces. Everyone who can, should really be wearing a face covering of some sort if they go out. 

• Masks are important - they reduce transmission, since that is mainly through contact and mouth. That's why it's combined with hand sanitiser/handwashing. I get that it can be uncomfortable, but you should really wear it if you can so that you are less likely to contract or pass on a potentially deadly virus. It's for the greater good, and if everyone takes this seriously, we can stop transmission, reduce cases to 0, and then hopefully you, and everyone else, won't need to wear a face mask any more x

• N95 or P2R doesnt give 100% protection, it has too large a micron mesh/filter gauge.  P3R or N100 do.  Basically masks designed to stop asbestos do.  Ideally though you want carbon filters, but if you cant tolerate a fabric mask, then you will find a rubber half face impossible. 

But saying that my cousin says he doesnt wear anything when he goes shopping.  He is managing the Covid blood testing in Manchester and is one of the consultants in Virology over there.  The caveat is that he is healthy and has already had it.  He still takes precautions like if hes in a shop and someone starts coughing he leaves as quickly as possible and avoids going near that person.  but he says you cant truely avoid it if you leave your house.  You can only take precaustions to minimise exposure and keep washing your hands.

Any mask wont stop the virus getting in, but it will stop a person who is coughing from sending the droplets into the air.  The use of masks in asian culture is to stop people with colds from giving them to others.  It isnt to stop others getting them.

If you have health problems, then wear one.  if you are going on public transport, you could wear a keffiyeh or scarf.  It doesnt have to be a proper N100.  If you cant wear one, then just dont and say you have breathing issues.  Just be aware if you then get stopped by the police you will need to tell them you have autism and cant wear them.  Also if you are undiagnosed, dont expect to get away with it.

As for the WHO, I would take anything they say with a pinch of salt.  If they had declared it a pandemic earlier, then we wouldnt have been in such a mess now.  I remember watching on the news and that numpty head of the WHO everyday said it isnt a pandemic, even though Italy had a soaring death rate and then when it was totally impossible to put the genie back in the bottle he decalres it a pandemic.  I have to agree with Trump and I think they should be disbanded until a proper investigation is done on how they handled this and whether China meddled at all with the process.  They aren't fit for service as any sort of public health outfit.  i trust the guys at PHE and Porton Down more than I trust them.

• I don't understand the whole mask thing - even the WHO admit they are useless to prevent viruses and are only a placebo for the masses.

The N95 labelling now specifically states that it offers no protection from WuFlu.

If it bothers you, get a sunflower lanyard to signify hidden disabilities and do without if you are comfortable being confined with all the other people around you - who will probably freak out because they have been programmed to be terrified.

I'm taking the easy option - I refuse to go anywhere that wants to treat me like cattle.