I can’t shut out background noise

Hi does anyone else suffer from the inability to block out noise?  I hear my neighbours, I hear the traffic, car doors slamming, flat doors slamming, barking dogs and I can’t block any of it out.  I live with noise cancelling headphones on all the time, it is now affecting my gait so I’ve been advised to not wear them so much but it is the only way I can deal with the world.  I find it is much worse when I don’t sleep and I never sleep well.  I feel overwhelmed with the noise around me and lost.  Does it ever get better?  The older I get the worse it gets.  I’m having difficulty dealing with every day life.  Does it ever get any better?  I feel like if I couldn’t hear anymore, it would be a relief. I’m constantly exhausted.  Everyone try’s to take your money by promising this supplement will help, or dietary changes will make it better.  Has anyone found anything that makes it better?

Parents
  • I wear hearing aids switched off, they have clear glue over the external mic and have cotton stuffed in the end that goes into the ear, It gives the best reduction of sound I've ever found but you need to use your eyes more especially on roads (with cars been really quiet these days) as you really can't hear them until they are on top of you.

I don't know if NHS would give them just for cutting out sound but maybe if could afford to go private you might be able to buy a pair from specsavers. I have seen online mention of hearing aids been used for kids with auditory processing disorder.  Behind the ear Tinnitus maskers may also work the same then you'd have both the 'white noise' option and been able to turn them off and block them off.

You might find this interesting

www.reddit.com/.../

• I am going to ask my doctor about that.  I think that would help me tremendously as the triggers can have a severe reaction at times.  I almost always have noise cancelling headphones on just to block everything out and get through the day.  Thank you for this!

• I would like to get to where I was a few years ago.  I left an abusive marriage, lived in sheltered housing for 8 months and all the work I did to get better went out the window.  I’m worse than I ever was before.  Maybe this will help me integrate back into society.  I’ve become a recluse that can’t handle any kind of stimulation at all.  

• I got a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones and I bought ten hours of box fan that I listen to.  When I have the noise cancellation on high and the box fan on, I can’t hear a thing and it is heaven!  They are expensive, I had to save up to get them but they are a godsend, especially on public transport!

• The Apple Airpods Pro got a lot of recommendations too because they have a mode called 'transparency' where you can allow external noise in but I'm not sure how much you can control this (ie how much sound you 'let in') and of course they can totally block it out so you can hear only whats on your iphone (phone call, white noise  or music)

They aren't cheap though but I might see if I can find a pair anywhere for a better price tomorrow (cyber monday) cos I'm curious, but it depends by how much they were discounted!

• I have the same problem, trying to hear people when a radio or television is on in the background.  I can’t understand anything.  There are a few videos on YouTube that show what its like.  I showed them to my ex to try to explain what it is like for me and he just called me a freak.  I can’t be around people for any length of time, it’s draining. It’s just me and my dog and a few brief outings.  I did have it under control before this last relationship, and that has sent me in a tailspin.  I am looking for a job now but have had no luck.  I really want to get back to where I was but I’ve never been this bad before.  It will be a long time before I am back to my “normal”, I will hopefully get there.  It is extremely debilitating and only someone else that has it can understand.  People don’t know how fortunate they are just to be able to block out or ignore sounds.  I am so glad I found this site.  There is a lot of good ideas and information on here and just talking to others like yourself gives me comfort.

• I have the same problem, trying to hear people when a radio or television is on in the background.  I can’t understand anything.  There are a few videos on YouTube that show what its like.  I showed them to my ex to try to explain what it is like for me and he just called me a freak.  I can’t be around people for any length of time, it’s draining. It’s just me and my dog and a few brief outings.  I did have it under control before this last relationship, and that has sent me in a tailspin.  I am looking for a job now but have had no luck.  I really want to get back to where I was but I’ve never been this bad before.  It will be a long time before I am back to my “normal”, I will hopefully get there.  It is extremely debilitating and only someone else that has it can understand.  People don’t know how fortunate they are just to be able to block out or ignore sounds.  I am so glad I found this site.  There is a lot of good ideas and information on here and just talking to others like yourself gives me comfort.

Children
  • I got a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones and I bought ten hours of box fan that I listen to.  When I have the noise cancellation on high and the box fan on, I can’t hear a thing and it is heaven!  They are expensive, I had to save up to get them but they are a godsend, especially on public transport!

• The Apple Airpods Pro got a lot of recommendations too because they have a mode called 'transparency' where you can allow external noise in but I'm not sure how much you can control this (ie how much sound you 'let in') and of course they can totally block it out so you can hear only whats on your iphone (phone call, white noise  or music)

They aren't cheap though but I might see if I can find a pair anywhere for a better price tomorrow (cyber monday) cos I'm curious, but it depends by how much they were discounted!