Autism and Dentist.

Hello everyone

I recently took the plunge to see the dentist after 7 years due to me getting really bad tooth ache after ingoring the fact that I have broken my tooth last april when holiday and never went to get it looked at and removed it because I generally don't like the fact that you have to pay for treatment e.t.c also I have had bad experiences with dentist in the past so If I have to go it has to been with a special needs dentist and the one I saw yesterday became my go to dentist person and see will be doing all the treatment I need like a tooth removal, a filling and clean but the dentist person is going to be building me up to the tooth removal stage and by doing minor treatments to get me used to what going on and what the person is like.

Has anyone esle had issues with dentist or struggle to see a Special Needs ones and what are your thoughts on the dentist and autism situation. 

• I hate dentists. I haven't been to one since I was 11 I think.

• Still hate it as an adult its the drilling I dislike I can bare it but I dislike as a kid it was terrifying and I couldn't sit still for it. Much better now though but still dislike it. Tbf even NT's don't like the dentist. Everyone hates the dentist unless your paid to be one.

• My experience with dentists has likewise been less than ideal, so could you please provide me the contact information of yours?

After years of avoiding the problem, I decided to visit them and treat my teeth. Also, my family recommended straightening them because I need that. I've read on different forums that now are a lot of analogs of braces, like - https://smiledoctors.com/treatment/invisalign-aligners/. I've never heard about this method of straightening teeth, so if anyone used this, can you give me feedback? So I know if they're worth it.

• I used to have a Dental Hygienist  who was s bit of s Butcher really. One time she was hacking away at my teeth an there was more blood than you should see, and I was going ooooooh, an the lady lady stopped and said to me what's wrong with you ? And I turned an ssid to her I am sorry but it's very sore in my mouth, sore the lady said it's not sore atall you just think you feel it but you don't. My late Mum was a Primary School  Teacher and often  her Pupils came in  to her Classroom complaining of sore mouths an she saw the Blood, coming from their mouths too. I have a very nice one now an I never have any pain when she cleans my teeth,cause she is very gentle with me.

Fluffy

• I particularly hate the hygienist. I tried to email my dentist to ask to be transferred  to the  community dentist but I couldn't find their email address . I filled out an online enquiry form but didn't hear a reply.

• Hello yes it was me, very sorry i didnt respond quicker, i need to check my mail more often!

• Yes I realised that  after it was bitsoffluf, thanks.

Fluffy

• Thank you - I think it was someone else. Mine isn't too bad at the moment. 

• I am sorry I was getting some information about Autism friendly Dentists and I can't remember who it was for on the forum so trying you  first but not sure if it's you or not the person was from Northamptonshire. Sorry if your not the right person thanks a lot. Best wishes.

Fluffy. 

• Hi there leave it with me I will see what I can do for you. Fluffy.

• Helo Fluffy (great name!)

I welcome any advice anyone is able to give. I am in the Northamptonshire area. 

• Hello my Friend if it is ok with you I will make an appointment next wk with my Dentist and see if he can give me some good advice for you and I will try and find out about Autism friendly Dentists too if you are happy for me to try to help you in this way? Where is it you live so I can tell my Dentist. Hope you not mind my offer of help. Fluffy.

• the Dentist has been my number one issue in terms of healthcare issues for most of my adult life. Like you and many of the people who have responded I have spent much of my adult life actively avoiding the dentist. 

I originally started avoiding them because no matter how much effort i put into cleaning my teeth the feedback was was always that my teeth and gums were in a bad state and I needed to try harder. They could never explain why various things were advised and what i was doing wrong. They would then 'clean' my teeth, causing them to hurt for days when they didn't hurt when i went in the dentist in the first place.

20 years later due to encouragement from my partner I signed up to a dentist again. Same problems but now with an added one, they are so oversubscribed its hard to get appointments and the reception staff are so stressed out they are polite but hostile in their interactions meaning when the dentist asks me to book another appointment I try but the receptionist challenges me on every detail, i tend to panic and flee the place without another appointment.

I did look for an autism friendly dentist via the NHS, but have had no luck at all. I have tried ringing other local dentists but it seems being confrontational and unhelpful is written in the job description for reception staff now, they answer my questions with questions back at me, challenging everything i say.

My teeth and gums are pretty screwed at this point but i cannot find a solution, I hope others have more luck!

• Glad you've had better dentists since then! Great, thank you - I'll have a look. All the best to you too.

• Yes lady was not very  nice to me but I have had nicer Dentists since then glad to say. You will find the information on the N A S  site they also have an information sheet for Doctors too about Autisum,  if you need one. All the best.

Helena

• That lady sounds awful! Where did you find the information for dentists? I'm in the process of finding a new dentist, so this could be really useful.

• I am afraid I have always been very nervous of Dentists from a small child. When I was a child the only way to get a tooth out at the Dentist was by gas and I just hated that so much having a horrid  mask put over my mouth. I remember as an Adult in my middle 20's I had a lady Dentist an she was a total nightmare all round. She could see I was very nervous at was not kind or patient with me she stopped drilling my teeth one time she was preparing a tooth for a filling, an when she stopped an took the drill out of my mouth she shouted at me and said for goodness sake will you please sit still or I will split your mouth open an then it will take me all morning to stitch you up. As you can imagine that made me feel 10 times worse. I should have reported the Dentist but I never did do so. Thankfully that Dentist  left to get Married an I got a very good one after that who was very patient with me an explained everything he was doing before each step which was good. You can also get on line information I have found out recently to give your Dentist which explains about going to  the Dentist and all about Autism, an the fears we Autistic people may have about going to Dentist, an how best a Dentist can treat a person on the Spectrum. I am get a new Dentist soon and I handed in the sheet I printed of for him to read before I see him which will be this coming Week and I hope it will help him understand a bit about what it's like for people with Autism,  going to a Dentist. I hope I have not scared you off going to much. Can you take a family member or a friend with you if you feel nervous in going yourself . I hope you get on ok at your appointment ok. I will think of you at it.

Alll the best

Helena 

• I think it is. It's really unfair - people should just be able to wear whatever they want without having to worry about it. Leggings are quite comfy Slight smile