motivation

so i struggle with self doubts and stress and etc. and i was wondering what any of you do to get over it because i'm looking for motivation so i can try to make friends or get a date.....but i'm just looking for inspiration.

Parents
  • This is a left-field suggestion and I could be biased but could you be bipolar as well as or instead of being autistic?

i can really struggle with motivation for years at a time but have short periods of weeks when motivation is not a problem - if anything I become too motivated.

i finally convinced a doctor to refer me for an assessment three weeks ago.

i am currently in what they call a manic phase and have no self-doubts or stress (or if I do have them I can quickly regain my balance)

as far as stress is concerned I can recommend tai chi but any exercise will really help - it's just a case of finding something you enjoy

haven't made any dates yet but that is partly because it would not be fair to get a date when I am manic if they have not also known me while I have been in a depressive phase. I would also like to find someone who has at least one interest in common. (Yes, the point of a first date is to see if you have anything in common but I just feel that someone is more likely to accept my autism let alone my bipolar if they have an interest in common.) finally it is hard when I am in a manic phase but it would not be the end of the world if I end up spending all of my life alone.

• This is a left-field suggestion and I could be biased but could you be bipolar as well as or instead of being autistic?

i can really struggle with motivation for years at a time but have short periods of weeks when motivation is not a problem - if anything I become too motivated.

i finally convinced a doctor to refer me for an assessment three weeks ago.

i am currently in what they call a manic phase and have no self-doubts or stress (or if I do have them I can quickly regain my balance)

as far as stress is concerned I can recommend tai chi but any exercise will really help - it's just a case of finding something you enjoy

haven't made any dates yet but that is partly because it would not be fair to get a date when I am manic if they have not also known me while I have been in a depressive phase. I would also like to find someone who has at least one interest in common. (Yes, the point of a first date is to see if you have anything in common but I just feel that someone is more likely to accept my autism let alone my bipolar if they have an interest in common.) finally it is hard when I am in a manic phase but it would not be the end of the world if I end up spending all of my life alone.

Children
  •  i know for sure i have autism because i was given an official diagnoses and i still have all the signs but now that you mention bipolar i am like that a lot so perhaps i have both?

• You’re never alone Taltunes, despite appearances to the contrary sometimes. 

I have worked with people with bipolar when I was a mental health practitioner. There are similarities between that and autism. It’s worth finding out, as you suggested, because when we know what we’re dealimg with, we can do something about it. 

I always think of the light house. It doesn’t flash on all the time, it goes off and on. I see myself like that. Sometimes I have these brighter moments and other times they’re not so bright. But both are equally valid, as one gives me the rest I need and the other, the inspiration and motivation. It’s the same as neurotypicals, I just follow a different pattern. People often think there is just one sleep pattern but there are actually several. It’s just that the others are less common so they’re thought of as odd or something. But they’re not, they’re simply just another type of sleep pattern.