ESA

My son has had his Employment Support Allowance withdrawn following his health assessment. I appealed -and lost - my point was that he would have had his support withdrawn anyway: 

Scenario 1 - he did not know exactly what the letter inviting him to the meeting was about - he did not understand what he had to do upon receipt of the letter - so he would have missed the assessment and by default have his ESA withdrawn.

Scenario 2 - I drove him to the appointment (he is not capable of catching the train / bus). I reminded him to have a shower and explained what the meeting was about - thus he got there and was prepared - and was deemed 'able' not entitled to ESA! 

My point - when I appealed was that 'he could not have attended the meeting without me interpreting the letter and physically getting him there' - so how does this make him 'able' and not eligible for employment support? His journey to any health assessment MUST be taken into account. They were silent on this point - no response.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I am my sons carer - and we have no support from social services - having his ESA withdrawn has been a really demotivating set back for me.

Parents
  • So - my son is considered 'too able' for ESA

-now Today -at a meeting at the Job centre we find out that he cannot apply for Universal credit - as I am his appointee - ie he is 'not able to look after himself'.

Our only option is to apply for Job Seekers allowance - but he is certainly too vulnerable to hold down any job with out full support!

What I find really frustrating though is finding one person / department / ANYONE who can help steer me through this maze - and I am supposedly the 'able one'.

Any ideas / pointers would be gratefully accepted. I am starting to give up hope

• So - my son is considered 'too able' for ESA

-now Today -at a meeting at the Job centre we find out that he cannot apply for Universal credit - as I am his appointee - ie he is 'not able to look after himself'.

Our only option is to apply for Job Seekers allowance - but he is certainly too vulnerable to hold down any job with out full support!

What I find really frustrating though is finding one person / department / ANYONE who can help steer me through this maze - and I am supposedly the 'able one'.

Any ideas / pointers would be gratefully accepted. I am starting to give up hope

Children
No Data