Self Employment Support

Hi to all,

Firstly, apologies for any waffling. I tend to agonise over my words, grammer, punctuation for ages before I post anything or on occassions just delete and walk away. Today though, I am just going to type and send (even saying that panicks me a little).

I am fairly new to all this. My son has recently been highlighted as having autism. I won't lie, things have been tough. Over the last few years, things have been getting quite tough for me, I have been in many full time occupations, always working my way up to management or going straight in at that level. I have even created new roles for myself in workplaces. For the most part these have been in office or call centre enviroments. I was good at what i did and even trained others dure to this. I was always loyal and dedicated to the organisational goals, procedures and values. On more than one occassion, I have been made redundant and went through the job search process.

I have always had period of great depression and some anxiety but this was never a dealt with issue. Recentley, I have became increasingly more depressed at periods. Anxiety seems to have taken a big leap to the point it takes over my body. I even developed ticks/twitches.

After the latest redundancy, I managed to find another job quite quickly. I walked in with confidence, I excelled at the training, I then started the "normal" shift. I was about to start the 2nd day of "normal" shifts and suddenly, I broke down, in floods of tears. I won't go in to too much detail but I was soon after medicated for anxiety and depression. It didn't make much difference. I was guinea pigged on different medicines. After discussion with GP it was then suggested I may have aspergers. Things seemed to make sense then.

Now on to the point of all this. The idea of working in an office, actually, just about anywhere I can think of, sends me in to a mix of anxiety, depression, ticks, etc. I have a fear of money too. I just can't discuss it. My head is filled with a million different thoughts at once.

I have always drew cartoons, sketches, etc. Recentley people have suggested doing that as a living. I have many friends in the industry of comics, writing, artists. I attend comic fairs and conventions. Here I feel most confident. I believe in my art, I believe it would sell. My real question is. What do I do. To start with, I wont make much money. I am on ESA. Would this be affected? The money fear then creeps back in and I don't want this to hold me back from my dreams. Who do I speak with? I can't speak on the phone. I am afraid I won't say the right things or I will miss something out. I fear people will think I'm a liar. I think people will say, "well if you can do that you can just get a "proper job".

I just cannot go back in to "standard" employment. I don't believe in it any more. I see it as pointless, no add value. I have nothing against people who do it, I just can't. But I don't want to appear like a cop out. I don't want to appear as though I just dont want to work.

I don't even know if any of this makes sense or if it will be read. If you have read it or even replied, thank you.

• Hi Tigard,

This site has been a pain as it deleted the rest of my post.

I'm sorry that you have had such a difficult time.  It's positive to read that you now seem to know what was causing your anxiety.  

My Son is severely Autistic my anxiety arose from how people treated him.  Plus trying to hold down a job with no support network just upset me every time I had to leave a job .  Unlike you they were not managerial roles but,I valued being able to be away from my Son & step out of the role of carer.

Your cartoons seem to hold your interest more then office work. Maybe your friends in the industry could advice you how to break into this field ?

Citezens Advice can advice you on the ESA, if you can work on it & what amount they allow you to earn.

Hope this helps

• Thanks Starstruck. Thats very reassuring.

• Hi Tigard,

You can waffle all you like here.  No one will complain about that