CV

I am at that stage were i need to wright my CV and at 18 im beging to wonder if I should put the fact that I have aspergers on my CV, but I'm worried if I do that i won't be able to get a job because of how crewl the world of work is to those with apergers and austim.

Don't get me worng I'm not looking for a part time job just yet but i like to be perpered for everything and anything that could come up

Has anyone else been in this situation before

[name removed by moderator]

Parents
  • You could try an approach of having two CVs, one that mentions autism and the other that doesn't. You have to keep meticuluous details of who has seen each CV. I'm job hunting at the moment and recently failed an interview with the feedback that I had failed to establish a rapport with the interviewers but I was technically very good. I felt that disclosing my condition may have helped. I have disclosed it to a few agents and have just been offered a telephone interview with a firm after being very open with the agent. He appreciated my openness and it gave him more opportunity to understand me better. I disclosed to another agent though and never heard another word so it depends on exactly who you speak to.

It also depends on how affected you are by your condition. Some people are very obviously affected and it may be better to disclose it as an explanation so that they don't get a shock when you turn up for interview. Some firms are very positive about employing people with disabilities and it may be worth seeking these out. For example, DAS Insurance have "Positive About Disabled People" as a mark of their positive approach.See the following link for more details...

www.gov.uk/.../looking-for-a-job

There is much more computer based and programming work outside the games industry than inside it. The competition for jobs in game design and development is ferocious and I would not pin my hopes on that for a career. An awful lot of teenage boys and girls see this as their dream job but very few will be living the dream.

• You could try an approach of having two CVs, one that mentions autism and the other that doesn't. You have to keep meticuluous details of who has seen each CV. I'm job hunting at the moment and recently failed an interview with the feedback that I had failed to establish a rapport with the interviewers but I was technically very good. I felt that disclosing my condition may have helped. I have disclosed it to a few agents and have just been offered a telephone interview with a firm after being very open with the agent. He appreciated my openness and it gave him more opportunity to understand me better. I disclosed to another agent though and never heard another word so it depends on exactly who you speak to.

It also depends on how affected you are by your condition. Some people are very obviously affected and it may be better to disclose it as an explanation so that they don't get a shock when you turn up for interview. Some firms are very positive about employing people with disabilities and it may be worth seeking these out. For example, DAS Insurance have "Positive About Disabled People" as a mark of their positive approach.See the following link for more details...

www.gov.uk/.../looking-for-a-job

There is much more computer based and programming work outside the games industry than inside it. The competition for jobs in game design and development is ferocious and I would not pin my hopes on that for a career. An awful lot of teenage boys and girls see this as their dream job but very few will be living the dream.

Children
No Data