Informal Supportive Action Plan

At work I have felt that I have been doing everything well and I thought that there was no issue with the way I have been doing things.

However, today I have been given an 'informal' supportive action plan, thankfully it's not a disciplinary process, but I was taken back by it and feel that my supervisor has no idea how to deal with a person with Autism.

I have a Workplace Needs Assessment meeting in a couple of weeks but they are putting me on this 3 month plan as of next Monday.

I tried to argue it, but this is happening anyway.

I really like my job, I really thought I was doing well, but it appears that I am not.

From the way they are speaking and what they are asking they have no idea about Autism, and I am not sure they are willing to learn about it or try to understand what makes me different.

I have recently moved teams from another area within the same organisation and nothing was flagged up there in the 18 months I worked there and I have not changed how I operate.

I don't want to lose my job.

Can anyone help me?

• I have reached out to a rep to seek advice.

• always get things down in writing. Even meeting notes where you asked for the workplace needs assessment to take precedence, and they think it’s ok to implement an informal supportive plan.

I would do this too - and make contact with an employment solicitor to check the process in case you decide to escalate this.

Keep copies of everything relevant to the case at home as well - employers are good at cutting your access off if they think it will help their side of any potential case.

I would make sure they are aware of your diagnosis as this will be critical to any case. If you don't have one I don't think you will get far however.

When you have the meeting, lay out you questions in advance in detail, including specifically what they believe you are failing with and what the exact metrics are to be measured for your "improvement".

Where these clash with your autism then explain to them that you have historically had no issue as you do things a bit differently (detail what this is) and it was more than enough to meet the requirements. It was in effect a form of "reasonable adjustments" and you would like them to develop a reasonable plan with you to have your disability accommodated and for your working relationship to be productive.

It is always worth letting them have the details of your employment solicitor as this has quite an impact on HR as they will make your managers get serious about their approach. Being sued for discrimination can be an expensive business for them  and carries negative publicity so they will either do all they can to help or find a legal way to kick you our with a decent severance in most cases.

It is a stressful stage you are at and I wish you every success, but as you know from work, "proper preparaton prevents pi55 poor performance".

• I agree, always get things down in writing. Even meeting notes where you asked for the workplace needs assessment to take precedence, and they think it’s ok to implement an informal supportive plan. If it’s not in the notes request it to be put into it. Sadly I didn’t get any meeting notes amended and it made it out I agreed to these things. But collect your emails as well as work related meetings you had ie performance review or even project or work chats, where they had opportunity to discuss their feelings. Like you say nothing has been said before.

• I'm sorry that you're going through what is obviously such a very worrying time.

In theory, the Workplace Needs Assessment could be a positive thing, as it could help them to better understand your needs and how they can better support you in your role.

Ahead of your meeting, it might help to provide your employer with resources about autism and their legal responsibilities. And to look into other sources of support that might be available to you.

For example, you and/or they might find these resources helpful:

NAS - Employing autistic people – a guide for employers - including the further links and resources at the bottom, including the government's Access to Work scheme.

NAS - Support at work – a guide for autistic people - includes advice about the Equality Act, workplace bullying (which can include overbearing supervision and criticising your performance), and sources of further support.  

NHS - Reasonable Adjustments at Work for Autistic People

• To put you on a supported improvement plan could be discrimination. Have they considered all reasonable adjustments and given them time to see if they are successful?

Please do read up on the equality act so that you can be prepared for whatever they try. Do you have a union? If so speak to them for advice.

Being in a similar situation I understand what is happening. Get everything in writing even if it is in email. Even write an email to yourself as that can provide valuable evidence if things go sour.