I need advice please

Hi,

I live in a building with a communal laundry room. I struggle at the best of times because it's a small, loud, sometimes hot place, and I never know who is going to be in there. So I mask my struggles when I'm able to face going down there, and my anxiety is very high. I've only shared with a couple of people in the building that I'm autistic, but I'm still really anxious around them. 

So, sadly, a few people have passed away or moved out recently. This means that I will have 6+ new neighbours in the near future. I just don't know the best way to deal with this level of change. And with navigating meeting new people in this small space. 

I always feel like I have to make small talk or listen to the problems they share. Sometimes, I manage this, but most of the time, I want to be left alone. The strain is damaging my already fragile mental health. 

Do I get myself a badge explaining I'm autistic ? For me, wearing headphones down there would feel rude (I wish that it didn't), as I feel that they would expect me to take them off and listen to them. 

Something has to change because I can't carry on like this. Pretending everything is okay, and I'm okay  - when I'm not. 

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Please be kind x

Parents
  • OK, the main thing to remember with interfacing with the normals is, you don't have to function as a normal, you just have to pass as one. For short, infrequent interactions like cashiers and laundry rooms, imagine in your mind what a confident normal person would do, and just say the words and act like you're an actor playing the role. You'll find YES IT'S EASY to look at people  and shake their hand and be confident if you're playing as a character and consider yourself an actor.

Note that you can't use this for general conversation! We don't have the script, and we can only pre memorize short sequences. For anything requiring improvisation, I always feel like I woke up on a stage and I'm an actor and it's my line and I don't have the script and I don't even know what play it is. And there's always a disapproving, critical audience

• Hi, I can relate to your second paragraph. 

The first, I have been doing for years. But it's not my authentic self and it's exhausting. I feel like I'm being dishonest. And I'm often replaying in my head, what I said. I worry that I'm judged all the time and bit**hed about. Because sadly a lot of that exists in my building. 

• Hi, I can relate to your second paragraph. 

The first, I have been doing for years. But it's not my authentic self and it's exhausting. I feel like I'm being dishonest. And I'm often replaying in my head, what I said. I worry that I'm judged all the time and bit**hed about. Because sadly a lot of that exists in my building. 

Children
No Data